Figure 8?

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
oldslotracer

Re: Figure 8?

Post by oldslotracer »

Looking nice and smooth. Have you tried it with all 3 cars on the track?
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Cool Paul, Now your cooking! :thumpup
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Not yet, Luf I just got it running today. I am looking forward to try some more cars on it to see how well it works.

Paul
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Here is some video of three cars on the Figure 8. I made lots of mistakes on this one, but I have learned a lot. I should start listening to Wes and Keld. This track has 3.5" lane spacing which seems to be ok not too tight. I like the .030" mig wire better than the .032" piano wire. It gives more understeer so less spins. Chalkboard paint is nice to drive on but not much better traction over regular flat latex paint. I should have made the hills more gradual, it is very easy to high side the cars on the hill. If you are too fast over the hill you might miss the lane change going down and it would be nice to have more lane changes just like Keld said. Even with the trouble the track has been lots of fun. Thanks Pat and Kirby for their expert driving.

Paul

Raudi1

Post by Raudi1 »

Looks like great fun? :klap As a point of reference, how large is the overall layout?
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Nice race. I like the toot with barrier, but it should be a bit out from the main track . A gravel bed area.
Nice to se.
How expertness was those drivers?
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Hi Lasp, I wanted to try a guard rail up close as Luf did on his tracks. It does seem to work in that it can often guide a car that is out of control. The only trouble is that there are a lot more collisions on the track causing blockages. Pat and Kirby have about 2 to 3 hours of MAGracing experience but many years of slot cars.

Paul
Kuipo

Post by Kuipo »

I like the foam work on the hills, as you said it looks like they could stand to be a bit smoother in future tracks, but we're all learning at the moment. May I ask how you smoothed the slope of the track in the foam? Did you use a power sander or what? What grain sandpaper and what kinda styraphome did you use?

Thanks!
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Hi Raudi1, sorry I missed your question before. The track is 7' 6" in length and 32" wide cardboard. Kuipo the incline is made of foam packing from a desk that a friend had. I carved it with a serrated knife then used the wall board putty to smooth. It is not ideal for building on though. It works well for the walls as it cushions the accidents but to lay wire on it is to soft and causes bends in the wire. If you want to do a bridge, I would Keld's method of a sheet of wood bent to the shape you want.

Paul
Kuipo

Post by Kuipo »

Thanks for the feedback. Raudi and I had been debating which is easiest for a ramp and initially I had thought the foam ramp would be easier and allow for a more custom looking ramp. After having tried a small 1 inch ramp as a test, it looked as if the wiring was going to be the hard part. Thanks for confirming that suspicion. We decided to go with the tried and true slot car method that keld seems to be using as well. We're going to try the ramp today most likely. *crosses fingers*