Modular tracks

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Lasp

Modular tracks

Post by Lasp »

Have anyone try to put two pieces of track together!
In my mind it should bee very easy to go from one plate or sheet to another.
I am using 3mm board or 5mm Kapa. Easy and clean material.

In the model railroad they have a concept with modular celler.

Its time for that in MAGracing also says Lasp A new world (track) every meeting!

I hops You understand my english, I am not going too bee better on this ;-)
Keld
Administrator

Re: Modular tracks

Post by Keld »

yes my test track is 2 pieces 1.22 x 2.44 we just trow them on the floor and push them together without any hooks, that work fine, even when one guy kick to one plate, there was a gap of 4 mm. and the car just passed without problems.

the wire is 0.7 mm and the magnet in the car is ø 5 mm that give 2,15 mm on each side, so if the wire is a little out of center it will work, maybe there can be a problem with high speed straight or if its in a corner. but i made my connections on small straights, and it works fine.
/Keld
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Lasp wrote:
I hops You understand my english, I am not going too bee better on this ;-)
Lasp, Your English is far better than my Swedish :thumpup
Vintage 1/24

Post by Vintage 1/24 »

I actually built my 4' by 8' "Go Kart" test track out of the little 2' by 4' pieces they sell at Home Depot and Lowes - I happened to see them in 1/4" MDF and I figured they could work - I later screwed them together to make a one piece track...

I think it would be a fairly easy "cottage industry" project to make up pre-made straight sections and pre-made curved sections that could be fit together - maybe some lane change tracks, some pit roads, 45° turns, 90°, 135°, 180°, 1 foot straights, 2 foot, 4 foot - that sort of thing - all out of 1/4" MDF board, with the guide wire perfectly positioned and a simple interlock shape/design - it doesn't seem that difficult. Just like plastic track - only bigger.

At least there would be something for a MAgRacing consumer to run with, without having to make a track from scratch.

Perhaps Wes (or someone who has some woodworking ability) should offer something like this?
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

:thumpup
Same here Lasp,

Atleast you try to type in English and do great, Many who do not have English as their fist language wouldn't dare to try. Like me, I would not dare to try your language. :lol:

Chris Sr.
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

FIRST vs. FIST on my last post , see I am far from perfect in MY language.

Chris
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

I for one think that this magracing begs for modular type tracks built from individual pieces. I have thought before that one rail of an HO track might work great with the mag tiller since it is approximately the width ( but maybe more mass) of the wire that we use. I know the spacing is wrong but the rail size might be just right. Going back about 50 years to my first slot car track, I had a 1/32 Marx set which had the same style rails as HO.
If you extend the plastic track model to wood, it would be easy to build segmented tracks with jig saw puzzle type interlocking joints.

Mike
tsmra

Post by tsmra »

giving that idea a try Lasp.
This track will be a oval. It's 20" wide (was thing in terms of 1;24).
1/4" MDF
1"X2" pine for the connectors.
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Very Good Looks that it can be something.
Right size.
tsmra

Post by tsmra »

Opps. Was in a bit of a hurry earlier, the foot print will be 8' (2.43M) X12' (3.65M). The straights will only be 4' (1.22M) but because it is sectional like plastic track hopefully longer straights can be added. The picture above has 2 - 45deg. sections joined together. The outside of the turn has a 8' radius.

Brion