ESCs and experiences.

Questions, Tips and Tricks about the transmitter, the electronics in the car etc.
kiklo
Administrator

ESCs and experiences.

Post by kiklo »

Pictured are a few ESC I have tested.

The small one is without brakes but seems to put out a lot of power.

The 'larger' one with light and brakes seems to have a peculiar behaving - at least for me. Brand (DasMikro 87).
-- When you change from reverse to fw again you have to double trigger to get pw ahead.
Hopefully this guy have sorted it out when he starts to produce 'our' receiver/esc.

I don't now if its because of the brake or why.
Anyone having an idea why or have seen it themselves ?
Attachments
IMG_20200727_142447.jpg
IMG_20200727_142447.jpg (45.38 KiB) Viewed 13512 times
Racing Regards

Kim K.
Ned

Re: ESCs and experiences.

Post by Ned »

Kim,
About 2 years ago I built a car with an ESC that looks just like the larger one in your photo. It is called a "DasMikro 1S Bi-directional Brushed ESC With Break For Micro Racing Chassis" Here is a link to it at Banggood https://www.banggood.com/DasMikro-1S-Bi ... rehouse=CN
I haven't operated the car for at least a year. As I recall, to operate the the brake, I moved the trigger forward (opposite of normal). To go in reverse after braking, I had to first let the trigger return to the neutral position and then move it forward again. But I'm not certain. The car is not now in working condition or I'd put it on the track and check it out.
I really like the size of your small ESC. Does it work with the stock magracing motor and 10440 battery? What is the brand and model number of the ESC? Where could I buy one? Please advise.
Ned
NFBrown

Post by NFBrown »

Kiklo, I wonder if you have forward and reverse exchanged on your troublesome ESC. If it has brakes that's the way it should work but in reverse. You can try swapping the motor wires and reversing the throttle at the transmitter. Then again I may be full of crap.

I used to contribute to this forum about two years ago and now I'm back.

Nick Brown Boise, Idaho
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Thanks Nick. I will certainly test that.

Btw. Wes.
This might be something for you to test as well om the esc you have with missing brakes.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Lesson learned !!

Thx NICK.
Reversing the cords did it on this one.
I'll keep that in mind, I have seen this behavior before - not understanding.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3304769 ... 48f3YI6WD4

If FF first revers action engages brakes. Back to neutral and back again gives reverse.

And Ned for the small one:
I have ordered several times so here are a few: They look alike.
BUT they are specified as BRUSHLESS. But 2way and NO brakes. Seems to work at brushed motor as well.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282131 ... 4c4dJTI0nt
or
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295036 ... 4c4dJTI0nt
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Re: ESCs and experiences. 'Turbo - lag'

Post by kiklo »

FYI.

The tiny one seems to have something aka turbo-lag when driving.

When you let go of the throttle you get a small extra push before it slows down.
Can be learned to manage but still.
I'll test a few more examples to see if it a general thing and as learned today : reversing polarity to figure out if it matters.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Re: ESCs and experiences. Mini ESC 2way brushed

Post by kiklo »

Racing Regards

Kim K.
WesR

Post by WesR »

I have had 2 cars running very well with the 'Das Micro 1s' board, which Ned mentions, for some time. Still haven't found the brake though! When you move the trigger forward, the motor goes straight into reverse. I don't think a brake is too important however, certainly not as important as reverse. My car fitted with the Magnetic board with brake is probably slightly quicker over a lap but not as smooth to drive as the other cars and I am not sure which I prefer.
The Das Micro boards need two trigger movements to go forwards (initially) but go straight to reverse. Again, not really a problem, you soon get used to it.
NFBrown

Post by NFBrown »

The ESC that claims to be brushless is really brushed. A brushless controller would have three connections for the motor rather than two.

I'll think about the "turbo lag".

https://www.banggood.com/MicroRC-5A-Bi- ... rehouse=CN This ugly mess describes the ESC I'm trying. It runs a motor I got from Ned - wired up on my desk. I'll get it into a car just as soon as I find all the car parts. Nick
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Wes the problem you describe is the same as mine. Try to reverse the motor leads and reverse throttle on the transmitter.

It should need 2 stroke's to get in reverse. I'st is for braking.
Racing Regards

Kim K.