Routing a Magracing track.

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
kiklo
Administrator

Re: Routing a Magracing track.

Post by kiklo »

No way you can drop plastering on OSB boards. ☺️
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Getting somewhere. Used a garden hose as fence. Still some more to do.
Attachments
0_DSC_3418.JPG
0_DSC_3418.JPG (57.55 KiB) Viewed 8406 times
Racing Regards

Kim K.
WesR

Post by WesR »

Looks good Kim . I use ready mixed skim plaster, comes in a plastic tub. It shrinks as it dries so it needs a 'top up' coat.
You do need a good steel straight edge to scrape it flat to the wire. It's worth buying a cheap plastering trowel for this.
As I have said before, I regret using board on my last track as the board was slightly thinner than the wire. Of course, you can adjust the guide magnet a little higher. This is ok on the straights but when the car crosses a lane change wire, the bump lifts the front wheel and, if the car is in a turn, steering can be lost.

On the attached pic., you can just see the raised wire. I have been raising the surface with thick paint, filler, etc., and its now pretty much ok but it would have been easier to use plaster.

Plaster is much easier to scrape off the MDF if you want to modify the route or add lane changes. I dont usually fit many lane changes, just add them later if I think it's necessary. I use a small circular saw in my electric hand drill to cut into the wire.
DSCF0752.JPG
DSCF0752.JPG (139.63 KiB) Viewed 8399 times