New 1/24 scale track build.

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
WesR

New 1/24 scale track build.

Post by WesR »

2.4 track panel.jpg
2.4 track panel.jpg (136.92 KiB) Viewed 13241 times
A purpose built 1/24 scale track is essential to develop a 1/24 car so started work yesterday. The car would just not work on the 1/32 track. The new track has 1.0mm wire and larger (+33%) radii turns.
I decided to go back to grey board and using 800 microns which is slightly less than the wire. Allowing for the glue and the paint and there won't be much in it.

The lane change is std. size and thickness. All worked perfectly and I shall continue now with confidence!
WesR

Re: New 1/24 scale track build.

Post by WesR »

24 track.jpg
24 track.jpg (175.09 KiB) Viewed 13163 times
New track is progressing well. I am not giving up on 1/32.
The plan is to have 4 cars running on both tracks, have some people over and see which they prefer.
The 24 track will be similar to the 1/32 but 33% longer and wider. The 2 lane track will be approx. 9.5" wide. A 6 lane slot track in 1/24 would be 3 times wider!

Considering the worldwide following for 1/24 slots, is track size really a problem?
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Considering the worldwide following for 1/24 slots, is track size really a problem?
I don't think so, yes if you need a 6 or 8 laner the size is a problem, I have a 8 laner and a 4 right now, really considering making a 6 and and 4 more instead of the 8.
But in magracing there should be no problem making tracks even in private home, the 33% is nothing for a bigger scale (IMO)

Keep up the good work :thumpup
/Keld
WesR

Post by WesR »

DSCF0709.JPG
DSCF0709.JPG (159.66 KiB) Viewed 12616 times
Hopefully here is a pic. of the larger 1/24 track, not finished scenically but fully operational. Made a few changes, extra lane change, mods to racing lines, etc. My 1/32 cars run perfectly ( with their old wheels and masking tape tyres!) with no fishtailing on the straights and better 'off-wire' driving but so far I cannot get the 1/24 car ( with rubber tyres!) to go anything like as well. For the moment I have put this to one side and am working on improving the 1/32 cars still further - see separate post.
WesR

Post by WesR »

Thought I would post a video I made some time ago of my new 2.4g car running on my wider 1/24 track. Considering that I have built many tracks over the last few years, I made a silly mistake with this one. I used 1mm wire but decided to finish it with card but mistakenly bought card which was slightly thinner than 1mm. This is no problem on the straights and turns, the magnet is adjusted to suit, but, at lane changes and racing line routes, where the car runs over the wire, the slight bump can upset the guide magnet grip and the steering was lost. After several coats of paint and some filler, all now works well. But the lesson is that wire and track must be flush at all times!

I now really enjoy driving the new cars on this wider track with it's increased 'run off' areas which make it easy to drive back onto the track after a mistake.