Clockwise and anticlockwise racing

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
WesR

Clockwise and anticlockwise racing

Post by WesR »

Luff has raised the question of racing in both directions and this prompted me to get in a few laps on both our circuits, in the wrong direction, to see if it is feasible. I think
the answer is yes, but there are constraints. The circuit would have to be carefully
designed for this to be possible and the layout could be restricted. On our existing
tracks, cars will run in the opposite direction but they tend to choose their own route.
Because we have a number of l/cs plus racing line combined, the cars are often on the wrong side of the track and we would need an extra lane changes and longer straights
between turns. I have just tried to sketch out a track which would allow a racing line in both directions but without success. An oval would be no problem! Thinking about it now, to run cars in both directions would compromise the freedom of design and the racing line more than I would personally be prepared to accept. Another small problem would be that you would need arrows on the track in both directions which could be a bit messy.
However, it's something to think about! WesR
oldslotracer

Re: Clockwise and anticlockwise racing

Post by oldslotracer »

Good points, Wes.

Here's what I came up with so far, by no means a final version.
Blue lines are 4" spacing, red is the racing line. So far I have 16 lane change points.
It basically three 4ft x 8ft sections that will sit on top of our Targa Track or we can set it up outside, weather permitting (although a wet race is something to think about).
I'm planning on using 1/4" MDF.

Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

I did thought about the same , and came to same conclusion as Wes, it can be done, but there are too many things to be compromised.
But never say never, lets see if you can manage it Luf.
/Keld
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

1/4'' it work fine here, but how much elevation can be made? how many degrees can the car handle?
/Keld
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

I am working with PVC called Forex and the problem with elevation has to bee the clearance of the magnet!.
But I havent get the cars yet ;-)
Just trying to make tracks in differnt materials.
But when its so free plans it schould bee some barriers betwen the tracks!
How to solve this?