Filler containing metal as "slot"

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Kai

Filler containing metal as "slot"

Post by Kai »

Just a thought....
Would it be possible to route a ex. 3x3mm slot, fill it with magnetic filler, sand it, paint it, and then have a smooth surface track?
Oldgoat

Re: Filler containing metal as "slot"

Post by Oldgoat »

Kai,

Are you talking about a metal paste(can't think of the name right now) that you would apply with a putty knife and then cover with paint and sand smooth? Might work if you get the right amount in slot, cause from what Wes said and others are finding out is the thickness (wire size is critical) of the wire that is used depends where you have the magnet suspended over the metal/wire.

If too high they spin out and too close, L/C won't work. Have to look into the paste metal myself.

Chris
Kai

Post by Kai »

Chris, you guessed correct, from my description.
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

think it is liquid metal have to see if a magnet will be pulled to it

Chris
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Have we found a new use for the magnet marshal? :lol:
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Are you guys thinking of JB Weld? Its a kind of epoxy with metal filings in it, I think its made in the USA. It might just work, but I don't know if I'd want use to much of it for health reasons and expense.

Paul
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

True and wire is cheap. Then how are you going to gauge how much has too much attraction or not enough? Trial and error? For folks on the US side of the pond, check out .028 Dulcimer wire on ebay by the roll. There is a guy who sells it there pretty cheap. One roll of it will do a LOT of magsteer track.
Mike
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

At least here in the states the metal filler is called "allmeatal". It is used as an automotive body filler. Mag does stick to it. I was thinking of using it as the glue to hold my wire into the slot I cut in the track with my dremel saw.