Circuit de l'Albion

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Keld
Administrator

Re: Circuit de l'Albion

Post by Keld »

Nor Cal Mike wrote:I was hoping to edit in something in that I forgot but for some reason this web page doesn't allow edits.
Mike
You have 5 min. from posting where you can edit if you write something wrong/spelling corrections etc., after 5 min. edit is disabled.
The reason is that its better to correct something in a new post if people already read it, then they will know, corrections in old post nobody notice.
/Keld
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

5 minutes eh? I can't type that fast :lol: :roll: That's OK, I will have to check it thrice before I press send in the future.
Mike
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

I can report success and failure today. First let my describe my success. The car followed the wires very well. Lane changes were pretty consistent. Now the failure. My card stock membrane separating the slot car track will not work with plaster or sheetrock taping compound because the moisture in the mix causes the paper to warp into a waffle board mess. This set up will probably work with card stock fill IF the adhesive used doesn't not contain water. Something like contact adhesive comes to mind. But I think I am through with thinking of paper of any form as a long term method though I may use it as fill for experimental tracks. That means I will have to either fully commit this track to mag steer and glue wire to wood, or start over with a new track that is designed from the outset for magracing. I think that I will revert to converting my small oval while I think of how I want to go on the road track thing.

Mike
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Hi Mike, I did a test for us. After you were having trouble with the cardboard I thought of a solution. After "wiring" the track I put a light coat of latex paint on the cardboard and let it dry over night. The next day I put the drywall compound over the paint to level and it worked fine.

Paul
Attachments
Paint and plaster test on cardboard.jpg
Paint and plaster test on cardboard.jpg (36.73 KiB) Viewed 8513 times
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

That's an Interesting way to go about it Paul. Seal the card stock before the fill. I may come back to this. Thanks!

Oh, I just remembered. I thought of another way after my flop to do it too. That thought was is to simply fill with more card stock similar to how Wes does in his video using contact cement so that the the paper cannot become too wet.

Mike