The Racing Line

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
WesR

The Racing Line

Post by WesR »

Hi all, We have 3 new videos which I tried to link before the holiday but without success. However I see that Keld
has found 2 of them.
I see you are all busy track designing but I havn't noticed much about racing lines so I felt the need to make the videos
and explain more on this. Having a racing line option on all major turns (bends, corners, whatever!) is crucial to the system and it is necessary to encourage their use by ensuring that drivers who miss turning into the racing line will then take a longer route and loose time. The skill in track design is designing close combinations of right and left hand turns
which test the drivers skill both with speed control and with steering control.
Where the l/c (lane change point) combines the racing line with a lane change and the driver misses this, the car will be on the wrong side of the road for the next corner and will loose more time.
Lapping a track continuously on the racing line without making a mistake will give great driver satisfaction I can assure you!
L/cs need to be at least 50cms apart to allow the cars to straighten up and also allow the driver time, in the case of,say,
right following left turns, to turn the steering wheel!
I am thinking that perhaps the website does not explain this well enough.
Re. track construction, routing may well work for some but one advantage of the card or plaster system is that alterations to the track, which you will all want to make, are very easy. Just knife out the slot and l/c area and, if you havnt used too much glue, you should have a good flat surface for the new wire and l/c plate.
Thats all for now, Regards Wes R
Oldgoat

Re: The Racing Line

Post by Oldgoat »

To all,

Thanks for the info Wes and I well know the benefit on consistent corner speeds to over all reductions in you lap times.

I have 6 comp. 4 stroke karts in garage/covered 14 ft trailer and one 35 HP 2 stroke that will really show how following the racing line can help your laps or if you screw them up like Wes said it can ruin a great lap very quick.

Love all this racing knowledge both small and full size we have in this forum.

Later all and have a great/safe NEW YEAR ALL.

Chris