Took the leap

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
salledenapoli

Took the leap

Post by salledenapoli »

Greetings from Philadelphia, Pa. USA,

Took the leap and ordered 4 cars and track buiding supplies. I plan to build an Oval, with a Road Course inside utilizing the Oval. (like our Super Speedways here in the U.S) The oval will be run counter-clockwise and the road course run clockwise to prevent accidental wrong track excursions. The question is, will the Nascar bodies that Wes built for his oval be available? I've e-mailed Wes and hope to hear from him or someone in the know on this forum.

I look forward to many hours of racing fun in my basement.

Randall
AUS_Phil

Re: Took the leap

Post by AUS_Phil »

As an alternative, it looks like the bodies for the Parma Womp-Womp chassis may fit.

I understand the Womp has the same wheel base and is slightly wider by 4mm or 5/32" in US English.

Waiting for the post man to deliver my first MagRacer to test fit a Womp Porsche 917 style body that I have.

Do a quick Google of "NASCAR Womp Body" and it will give you a listing of suppliers.

This may help as a stop gap until Wes produces his better fitting bodies.

I look forward to seeing photo's of your build.
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

I don't want to speak for Wes and expect that he will chime in. I believe that Wes' Nascar cars will be of a longer wheelbase to conform to 1/32 scale Nascar wheelbase dimensions. That will require an extended chassis as well as bodies unless you want to get crafty and extend the short sports car body yourself. I haven't heard any reports from Wes about these cars beyond his experimenting with the format so they may as of yet not be available for sale. If you want to get crafty with chassis and body and if Wes isn't selling bodies yet, Pattos Place in Australia sells a clear vacuformed Gen 6 Nascar shell similar to what Wes has shown in his photos. Pattos not only has the cup cars, he also has a line of Nationwide series body shells as well. Te Nascar wheelbase dimensions are also the same as most pony car (Camaro, Mustang Cougar, etc). If you care to make a Saturday night, home town, short track type series, those are widely available as vacu form shell and would work well also.
AlfaRacer

Post by AlfaRacer »

Congrats! We just received our shipment from Wes this week, too. Worked today to start building the track layout. We're doing a 12' long x 8' L-shaped frame to accommodate a racing circuit that will be approximately 65', 2 lanes. Recreating the old Monza layout, with a partial oval. This was my 14 yr old's idea! Lots of work, but should be a lot of fun.
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Sounds like a wonderful family project. Have fun!
salledenapoli

Post by salledenapoli »

I starting building the tables for the track. The design I'm builing is a tri-oval similar to the Richmond, Va. track. I will add a road course loop in the infield once I have the oval working properly. I plan to use the drywall mud method over the wires. The track will be built on 3 tables bolted together creating a 14' x 7' area.
Any suggestions on how to do banked turns? I'm looking to have approx. 17* of banking in the corners, and 3* in the straghts.

Randall
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Basically to build a bank turn, you cut out a turn with a bit of straight sections leading into and out of it attached. You will wind" up with a piece looking like a "U" or a "V" depending on the type of turn. Now grab the ends of the straights and squeeze. The more you pull the ends in, the more banking you will get. If you cruise around on the slot car websites, you can find a graph which tells you how much angle can be bent to how much banking but I prefer the intuitive method where I lay the turn out 1:1 on corrugated cardboard. Rather than experimenting on wood to get the right angles, go to a furniture store to get a big corrugated cardboard box. You can build a 1:1 mock up in the cardboard.

Warning : be very careful with the transitions. Too much twist may cause your steering magnet to loos the guide wire. Also MAGracing cars may have a hard time getting going again if you stop or spin out on too steeply of banked turns. I would keep any banking very mild. Good Luck! Post photos!
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Hi Mike do you have a link to the site where I can find this:
... graph which tells you how much angle can be bent to how much banking ....
/Keld
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Keld wrote:Hi Mike do you have a link to the site where I can find this:
... graph which tells you how much angle can be bent to how much banking ....
Sure Keld. Here is a great tutorial:
http://www.slotcar.org.uk/trackbuild/index.htm
If you scroll down towards the bottom you will see a link titled, "Banking".

Mike
goatdope

Post by goatdope »

To salledenapoli; I had great results in building a scale "motordrome" that is 5deg. all the way around. This was accomplished using wedges of 3/4 in. particle board cut at exact angle. Spacing the wedges about 8-9 inches apart will give you plenty of rigidity. Be sure to leave an inch or so overhang past the racing surface to mount the wall and infield. My track is 16 ft. X 8.5 ft. in 4 modular sections. Your desire to have 17deg. banked turns may be too extreme. Tape on the tires would be a must. I run my stock cars on bare plastic tires and at low speed with a lot of wheel spin, the rear end wants to drop down the 5deg. banking. Why not be conservative and go with 10 deg. turns ? It would be easier to transition to your 3 deg. straights in any case. Good Luck.