NASCAR Ovals

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
WesR

NASCAR Ovals

Post by WesR »

The design of an oval track would appear to be simple but in fact poses some interesting questions for a Magracing circuit. In real life, the simplicity of the track is made up for by running a large number of cars on a relatively short track so that drivers are too busy avoiding other cars to get bored with
only turning one way. I suspect that the same would apply to Magracing Ovals. Racing on your
own would be boring but, with 6 or more other cars, racing would be challenging! One advantage of a simple track could be that new drivers would find it easier to reach a reasonable standard more quickly i.e. only having to turn left is easier to learn!
We need a situation where it is necessary to steer both ways however and having to turn right to
overtake or avoid other cars would achieve this.
The turns will need to be tight enough to slow the cars. Large radius banked turns could mean
full speed and no skill required.
Fortunately there are small full size ovals such as Martinsville (only just over 1/2 mile, less than 1km)
with quite tight turns. This track interestingly has banking on the inner 2 lanes and the outer 2
lanes are flat so there is a definite racing line here.
I am looking at 3 lanes and expecting to need a lot of experimentation to get it right!
WesR

Re: NASCAR Ovals

Post by WesR »

Martinsville short oval
Attachments
Martinsville.jpg
Martinsville.jpg (13.07 KiB) Viewed 17223 times
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

I don't think it would be a problem only turning left, because the car still do it by it self if you just keep the speed down.
and you still need tio change lanes all the time to get free from the other cars.

I has the same feeling that this kind of track could make it easier to start
/Keld
goatdope

Post by goatdope »

This is Great news for me! A half mile oval takes up a lot of room even in 1/32 scale. I am currently laying out a scale model of a 1/4 mile motordrome. Four 4X8 sheets of plywood is all you need. The track itself measures 16ft X 8ft and a few feet on either side for clearance and the whole thing fits inside the typical 2 car garage!
WesR

Post by WesR »

Pic shows oval in white primer. After 5 laps, the first mistake became apparent. In the outer lane, the retaining wall is close enough to keep the car on the track and flat out speed was possible through both turns. ( not so in the other 2 lanes I am pleased to say). So the wall is now being replaced further out. Just thinking, as an alternative I suppose I could try facing the walls with some friction type material which would slow the cars when the back end rubbed along it!. Just a thought! Will let you know how I get on.
WesR

Post by WesR »

First oval pic.
Oval track white 006 (640x480).jpg
Oval track white 006 (640x480).jpg (173.31 KiB) Viewed 17105 times
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

That's no trouble Wes, a little rubbing is ok. The paint stripe that you get on the rear fender would be called a Leicester stripe. :tung
goatdope

Post by goatdope »

I think we should concentrate on smaller ovals. 1/4 mile motordrome oval will be only 16 ft X 8 ft . Can be set up with 4 modular sections. NASCAR Tacks to big. Like it was in the 1930,s small tracks came first.
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Great concept Wes. I look forward to seeing your videos of it.
prime05

Post by prime05 »

I'd like to see how you did lane changes on this. I was thinking of doing a 3 lane oval myself, but couldn't make up my mind on how to do the lane changes.