Embeding the metalplates when using the 'Keld-dremel-method'

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Kellerkind

Embeding the metalplates when using the 'Keld-dremel-method'

Post by Kellerkind »

Hi everybody,

question often can be found on the forum is how to embed these little metal plates for lanechangers when using the dremel method.
Here is the way I used in my testtrack.
Tools needed are a pencil, metalruler, screwdriver or knife, hammer, japansaw, glue.

First you sketch the localisation of the plate. Measures used like Wes advised.
See magracing.co.uk for further information about measurements.

Cut shape of the metalplate with a japansaw.

Carve the bed for the metalplate with a knife or screwdriver. Not even one mm is enough, you dont need to go deeper.

Glue the plate in place. Watch Wes' sketch.
Take care to be in one level with the tracks surface.

Fill up and sand down, finally paint.

Thats all. No paint yet on the last picture.

Any thoughts welcome.

Regards Jens
WesR

Re: Embeding the metalplates when using the 'Keld-dremel-met

Post by WesR »

On the photo I can see the plate through the filler at one corner. Not good.
If the wire is .7mm diam., then the plate must be .7mm below the surface exactly.
Not .8mm, not .6mm! and it must be perfectly flat. I would not bother filling over
the plate untill the lane change has been thoroughly tested. You may have to adjust
it if it is not perfectly flat. I still think that the only way to do this accurately is to glue
the plate and the wire to the flat baseboard. Then the plate must be level with the bottom of the wire. The purpose of the plate is to ensure that the car will lane change
correctly at any speed. It also should ensure that the car will continue straight on if the steering is turned the wrong way. This is a big help for novice drivers and even experts make the occasional mistake! Sorry to find fault but I do so want everyone
to succeed. Regards to all.
Kellerkind

Post by Kellerkind »

Hi Wes, hi everybody,

Thanks Wes for the very important note. Yes, of cause depth of the embeded plate has to be cared for intensively. Photo looks worser like situation is in the track - all LCs work fine. Maybe I test a few other methods in future and post them :lol:

A merry Christmas to all of you!
Regards Jens
WesR

Post by WesR »

Hi Jens and all, Well, if the L/Cs work ok, that good. If there are 15 or so on a large track, it is important to try to get them all the same if possible otherwise some will work
and some will not. Sometimes, perhaps in high speed positions, it may be necessary to cut a little off the exit wires to show a gap after the plate also. Probably 3mm
before and 3mm after is better than the 5mm before which we show on the website.
Then it is easier to cut a little off the single 'in' wire instead of the two exit wires.
I will draw and post this.
Regards and a happy Xmas to all.
WesR

Post by WesR »

I think we should change this on the website.
Attachments
Lane change plate positioning.jpg
Lane change plate positioning.jpg (22.95 KiB) Viewed 18308 times
Kellerkind

Post by Kellerkind »

Tanks, Wes, for your input. One little question please: Does the space between the two 'exitwires' remain 2mm like recommended before or is it getting bigger, too? Thanks for your Info!

Regards Jens
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Great thread! Hi all, so Wes you mentioned that the 3mm at each end helps at high speeds, what is the theory behind that so I understand the logic.

Paul
WesR

Post by WesR »

Hi Paul, Initially we had simply a gap in the wire with no plate. The gap with .028" (.7mm) wire would be in the region of .5 to .75 inch (12 - 18mm) . This will work
if the cars run over the l/c at a constant race speed. If driven slowly however, the
steering effect is greater and the car would possibly turn more sharply, miss the wire
and run off the track. This could happen especially with novice drivers who were driving slowly. And if the steering were turned the wrong way, which happens often
with novice drivers, the car would leave the track and crash.
Another problem was that there was an existing patent which seemed to cover this idea.
One day, on holiday, lying on the beach, I had the idea for a plate which would enable the guide magnet to wander off line but retain enough magnetic attraction to stop the
guide magnet leaving the plate altogether.
If the plate is too long, there is the possibility, when the car is going straight on, of the
magnet wandering a little and picking up the alternative wire.
So the best answer seems to be a plate of limited length with short gaps before and
after to encourage lane changing but not enough for the guide magnet to leave the track.
I hope you all can understand so far!
5-6mm (.25") is probably the largest gap you could have. If you have a small gap
both before and after the plate, then, on very fast locations, you could increase the
ingoing gap slightly if necessary.
I have been thinking about a thin plastic plate which could be used as the basis for
a lane change. I will make one and photo it.
Most people seem happy with their lane changes but it becomes more important when
racing becomes more serious. Good racing requires consistent track lane changes and consistent car steering actuator coils. These are made by hand at present and
may vary by a few turns. This can be adjusted for by changing the card shim
thickness behind the coil. Coils made by machine would be 100% consistent.
I have tried several times to build track lane changes by simply running the 2 wires
side by side but never to my satisfaction.
WesR

Post by WesR »

Hi Jens, Yes, keep to the 2mm between the wires.
Kellerkind

Post by Kellerkind »

Thanks for the infos, I think I was lucky whilst building my LCs just hitting the needs. I will take more care for that next track. Thinking about a more precise method to embed the metals. I am going to post if useful.

Regards Jens