Targa thoughts

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
WesR

Targa thoughts

Post by WesR »

In view of the interest in the Targa race and tracks, I thought I would start a new
subject. I think perhaps I have been doing Magracing a disservice by not seeming
too enthusiastic about a Targa Magracing track. The Sicilian roads were (and still are)
narrow and a realistic model track can only be 2 lanes or 2 car widths to look right
which means digital slots or Magracing. A custom built routed digital is not easy
as I discovered. I claimed it was the first custom digital track but I must admit it
had only one lane change! (Hand built lane changes are a pig to build) I guess
this is why digital has not caught on with slot racers who want to build their own
tracks. Anyone wanting to custom build a realistic Targa track and race several cars would today have to choose Magracing (and of course we already have the
perfect Porsche, Alfa and Ferrari from the best years of the race) My own track had to go but I did keep some of the buildings (just in case!) and I thought some photos
and info. might be of interest. Walls are mostly of 4mm mdf board, roofs of
corrugated cardboard, and, as many Sicilian roofs were of rough slate/stone, I
believe I used oat flakes stuck on. Stone walls can be reproduced by smearing
d.i.y. filler over the area and then scratching out the joint lines. Balconies are
a bit of a problem, just have to imagine these!
Looking forward to seeing the first Magracing Targa track!
Targa buildings2 013 (500x375).jpg
Targa buildings2 013 (500x375).jpg (113.17 KiB) Viewed 8447 times
Targa buildings2 003 (500x375).jpg
Targa buildings2 003 (500x375).jpg (144.75 KiB) Viewed 8447 times
Targa buildings2 001 (500x375).jpg
Targa buildings2 001 (500x375).jpg (140.83 KiB) Viewed 8447 times
WesR

Re: Targa thoughts

Post by WesR »

Couple more photos which should have been included.
Thanks to Lasp for the Slotforum link.
Targa buildings2 006 (500x374).jpg
Targa buildings2 006 (500x374).jpg (140.53 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
Targa buildings2 010 (500x276).jpg
Targa buildings2 010 (500x276).jpg (110.27 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
Targa buildings2 016 (500x434).jpg
Targa buildings2 016 (500x434).jpg (168.8 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
PDX Bryan

Post by PDX Bryan »

I've been a fan of miniature things since I was a kid and I really like these buildings. I hope I get a chance to make something like the someday..
I will say,however, the thing that really draws me to the Targa style track is the terrain. Since I got back into slots about a year ago most of my track time has been at two tracks. The first one being a scalectrix 4-lane, flat, probably 85-90 ft. long. Good, fast racing there with some excellent slot racers ( I've learned a lot). The second; a home made 3-lane with some good climbing and descending S-turns etc.. I am of course a big fan of the second one. It seems continually challenging and more interesting to race on.
I can see where line of sight issues could come into play with Magracing. If the track's too high you may not see the lane changes well enough, but then if you build the track too low you may not enjoy the ups and downs so much. What do you think?
Bryan.
WesR

Post by WesR »

Dont think there's a problem there Bryan. As long as you can see the track you
could drive it. You get to know where the lane changes are anyway. We have blind
spots under our bridges but no problems except I would not put a bridge over a turn
again, such as we have on Linford 1, because, if you spin out under the bridge, you
dont know which way the car is pointing so reverse is not much help!