Line change and coil battery consumption.

Questions, Tips and Tricks about the transmitter, the electronics in the car etc.
Erik M

Line change and coil battery consumption.

Post by Erik M »

To start of with, yes I know the factual and principle.
And if I got some detail wrong, just say so.

The coil drive the steering and the steering follow the wire, as best as it can.

Would the idea below be a way to minimize power drain from the coil, simplify line change and remove the R/C element in a beneficial way?

If there's a polarity driven switch on the coil and a magnet at the junctions to tell it which way to turn all of the above would happen.

With no junction magnet there's no power to the coil, thus no drain more than in the exact point of traverse.

With the junction magnet there's only the one button to press. No need to miss a crucial line change.

With no line and no junction there's no steering, so no wild careening around among the vegetables...

Such might be a laugh, but when you miss the track and end up at the wrong part in the heat of serious racing it soon becomes... old.
Not to mention that the real benefit of MAGracing sort of disappear (litter...ly) if cars not stop at crashing in to the terrain, but actually runs around in (through, on top of) it.

...and no extra lines to direct the car from one line to another. It will find it all by itself.

Somewhere in the back of my head there's something about the race line too, but it's still playing peek-a-boo with me.

Personally I believe this is a much bigger issue than seen at first glance.
My thinking is that MAGracing must decide on what hobby it adheres to.
A slotcar don't run outside the track. An R/C ditto does.

And if the car is steerable out side the track, what can this steering be used for...
...or why invest in MAGracing if all it add to R/C is to deduct from it.
...or just add several points that are the reason why most people prefer the straight on approach of slotracing and shy away from R/C racing.
Lasp

Re: Line change and coil battery consumption.

Post by Lasp »

Please Erik M

Here, at Magracing forum, we dont need a diskussion about a car that deslot can run without power or a RC car can do it with.

We dont ewen need a discussion about what kind of battery to use!

We are a bunch of people that like this concept from WesR.

Let us do that!

Go home and make Your own system MuCaRo! And I will bye ewen that. And by new SlotCars.

But dont critisism without using, and no hands on, nowledge of the system.

I earlyer promise My self to not involve in discussions like this.

And ones again "Ower and out" from Lasp
Erik M

Post by Erik M »

If I'm hearing that correctly there's no interest in development for MAGracing, correct?

Fine with me, even if I have a hard time believing that MAGracing is meant to work the way it is today.
Where you can corner faster by steering into and through a corner, than if you just follow the line.
'Cause that is what you can do today.

I don't think I am wrong when I presume the coil make the front wheels turn to steer the car, am I?
Thus you can help the car follow the line by steering it the same way it wants to go, right?
With some practice you could even countersteer to go even faster by power sliding.

I had some other points that possibly would help, even improve, MAGracing.
But I guess I'll stash them down some fairly deep drawer then.
maxmercy

Post by maxmercy »

Erik,

The way I understand it, by adding power in a corner, the back end of a car will break loose. If the back end of the car goes outside of the wire, the steering will automatically change to be able to do a 'drift' or 'power slide' turn. To make the steering more authoritative than the wire steering, you can modify the car to make the steering coil more powerful adding an iron core, or by raising the wire following steering magnet or lessening the distance of the coil magnets to the coil. It will result in a car harder to control, with wider tracks necessary.

The beauty of magracing from what I can gather is a great amalgam between slot and RC with very easy track building.

JSS
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Max

:yes Looks like you are getting the brain cells in line with this concept, we have many things that can be done and great hobby for the family.

Chris
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

I am listening Eric. So please continue. Don't care about the hole mag/slots is better .........

I like the posibilities because:

1. 16 cars on the track at one time.
2. No groove or braid/tape on the track. this makes for a very realistic road surface...

Mostly reason #2....

So keep the brain storming coming...
Erik M

Post by Erik M »

Thank you.

Ok, let me get some things straight at once.

I am truly happy that Wes has come out with MAGracing.

We do however, him and me, come from different angles. Wes, if I've understood it right, from R/C and me from model slotcar racing.
And we have a slightly different agenda. And here it is Wes' agenda that is. Period.

Whatever I put forth is what might add to Wes' MAGracing.

So I've got quite some thinking to do, to not exclude that you can both steer and reverse with the car.
(And you might correctly assume these are things that are not high on my whish list. OK?)

So, back to the "inappropriate use of the coil" then, shall we?

Can we assume that helping the car to steer on the track is undesirable?
That "turning with the car" to help it through corners isn't what MAGracing is about?

Can we also assume that this kind of driving will drain the power pack undesirably?
Next to the motor it's the coil that draw energy. And it most likely draw more than the motor... Most likely that is.

But it wouldn't hurt if the car did get some help to follow the line. Right?
It would, among other things, make laying the line easier, as the car might get less sensitive to the exact distance to it.

Are these things within the parameters of MAGracing?

Not steer the car by remote control, only to change line (and maybe get back on the line)?
Preserve the (limited) energy of the battery?
Have the car help itself to better hang onto the line?

Would a thing like Chase Cars (ie autonomous racing cars) that race as you do, thus adding to your starting field, even if racing alone, add to MAGracing?
Would anti-collision (ie avoiding unnecessary demolition derby's) add to the enjoyment of MAGracing?

They can be added with a minimum of effort.
And you would still get to both go vegetating and drive back over it vegetation (...in case you missed a carrot somewhere).
Raudi1

Post by Raudi1 »

Eric.... While this is an open forum, I can barely follow your discussion. It appears that you are of the belief that a driver has to steer the car around a corner to follow the wire, thus using up battery power unnecessarily to stay on the track. This is not the case.

Additionally, the batteries now last at least 40 minutes before needing to be changed out, amazing if you consider 1/10 scale RC cars can run no more than 5-10 minutes before needing a battery change. Therefore extending battery life is hardly a concern.

As to racing around against phantom cars running on autopilot I'm afraid I don't see the point. Isn't that what video games are for?

I'm guessing you do not have, nor have not driven a Magracer. I can only suggest you get one and try it. At that point your recommendations as to how to improve them will likely be more valuable.
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Eric takes some time to get used to. He is very direct in his typing... but has very good ideas. Many of which he has been able to bring to light. Brakes for AC2CAR for one.

Eric I would like PC controlled cars that.
accelerate, brake, coast, & change lanes.

anti-collision ...... I have figured out how to do this. Well not anti-lane change collion. But anti-rear ending. Will do a topic about this soon...

joel
maxmercy

Post by maxmercy »

Joel, LeNoir wrote:
anti-collision ...... I have figured out how to do this. Well not anti-lane change collion. But anti-rear ending. Will do a topic about this soon...

joel
Very nice! I'll be interested to see how you plan to do it. Have you checked your PMs?

JSS