Nascar type oval will need much more space

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Oldgoat

Nascar type oval will need much more space

Post by Oldgoat »

8-) Greeting from WNY

My plans have changed since I laid out the oval on paper. I found out the planned size (4x8 feet) takes up 4 ft. of the straights (8ft. length planned for room limitation). I have 5 lanes drawn without lane changers and no space for a pit lane (which is a MUST). I have to keep to the Wes' 3" center to center lane spacing

So I now layout a cool road coarse with height difference plus a cool pit area. Will keep you all posted and take photos also.

I really enjoy this forum with all the cool suggestions and very great ideas to make MAG-Racing the greatest table racing that it could be.

So happy that Wes took it upon himself to get this all going THANKS AGAIN WES

Guess I better get ready to go to wife's brother house for Xmas evening get together.

Chris Sr. aka Oldgoat :ugeek:
Nor Cal Mike

Re: Nascar type oval will need much more space

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Chris, I don't know if I am misreading your post but I cannot understand why that you have five lanes laid out for your oval. If you are, I would guess that you are thinking analogue slot racing Sir. Mag racing or digital slot racing for that manner are a different animal. Given that the cars can run in the same line, aren't two or a maximum of three plenty? If you look at a typical Nascar track, most are wide enough to allow three cars to run side by side but in reality only two lines are of any use to the drivers as racing lines. If I were building an oval for mag racing which I probably will do in the future, I would lay out two lines for racing and about another lanes worth of free space to use as run off room on the outside of the corners. That third lane of open space on one or both of the straights could be used for your pit lane.

Yes it is true that a 4ft. diameter turn ( 2ft. radius) uses up 2ft at each end of a 4X8 board so you use as much board for turns as you do straights. But a 4ft. straight on a bull ring isn't bad. I have a 4X8 slot car oval here that is a blast to drive on! All of the action is in the turns, the straights are just places to rest your trigger finger while waiting to attack the next corner. Straights are over rated I guess what I am trying to say. My bull ringing is a D oval so it really only has one 4 ft straight. I have added a pic of my 4X8 bullring. If this magracing moves to ovals for me, I will convert this on for that purpose.
If you used the two center lanes or better yet split the difference between 1&2 and 2&3 by laying your wire line down between them, you can see that the rest of the track is available as run off space and pit area. There is plenty of room for a pit in this 4X8 track.
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Mike,
WOW, thanks for the info and your bullring looks cool also. I was going by the races on the tube, watching the race lines of diff. drivers but I guess their lines depend on tire wear(componds) and fine turned adjustments to ride height and springs stiffness etc.

I was thinking down the way WHEN we can get diff. tire componds to use and maybe even like we had in the 60's (small coil spring suspensions F/R).

My oval thoughts were of a super speedway type track , but since I never had or even raced with slots on any type of oval I have to go by your info which now opens alot of doors for me and all my designs. :mrgreen:

Guess all we can do(and great enjoyment in doing this) is experiment with all these GREAT ideas we are sharing.

thanks again for all the brain fuel hehe ;)

Chris
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Chris,
Here is another thought on you pit lane. On all larger Nascar type oval tracks which are a half mile or bigger, the pit lanes are in center of the oval rather than the outside. The outside is reserved for stadium type spectator seating. If you put you pit in the center you will gain a wider track since you will be able to run your outside line closer to the perimeter of the board. The inside pit will mean reaching over the track to pick up your car to exchange batteries but since the track need not be over 14" wide or less. The 14" assumes plenty of run off area between the outside line and the wall.You could also probably narrow the track considerably in the straight sections to gain more space for your pit area.

I have built four wood oval slot car tracks and three road tracks and my favorite way to visualize what I am trying to create is to just lay the actual piece(s) of wood on the table and start drawing lines. Scale on paper doesn't work as well for me.
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Mike
Thanks for the reminder on the inside pit lane, think the 3 lanes might be the way to go and then make alot of lane angles and try the cross over on a test board. I was thinking of doing the slot track bank by cutting the corners a bit short then finish pulling them to make a 180 degree corner. Might just keep the whole track flat and try hills and dips for the road course.

thanks again and talk later

Chris
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Be careful about how quickly you pull up your banking. It is my understanding coming from Wes that the mag steer tiller is sensitive to extreme camber changes. If the camber change is abrupt and lifts a tire, it may pull the steering magnet away from the wire too You could lose your magnetic line or at least it won't be as strong and therefor weaker in that spot on the track. A gentle transition is the way to go I would think.