Hot glue for installing wire

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Double Naught

Hot glue for installing wire

Post by Double Naught »

Being the impatient type, while building a test track I thought I would try some hot glue. It worked well if you have a way to cool the glue quickly between dabs. I have an aluminium block that I placed on the dab of hot glue, this cooled the glue in seconds and flattened the top to be flush with the wire. Now I hope the plaster will stay in place around the glue... I will try later this weekend.

Paul
Attachments
Aluminium block.jpg
Aluminium block.jpg (36.02 KiB) Viewed 8275 times
Hot glue dab.jpg
Hot glue dab.jpg (34.11 KiB) Viewed 8275 times
Keld
Administrator

Re: Hot glue for installing wire

Post by Keld »

I think you need to glue the whole wire, I dont think the plaster can hold it down when the magnet are pulling.
/Keld
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Yeah, hot glue isn't such a hot idea for installing the wire. It sticks to the aluminium after a few dabs, got hot glue all over my fingers :o and had a couple of failures. Contact cement as Wes recommends did the repairs and away we go.The .032 piano wire is placed over the staples with hot glue and for the lane change plates contact cement. Add some wall board putty then paint. Won't be long before I can run it.

Paul
Attachments
Wires and putty test track.jpg
Wires and putty test track.jpg (30.89 KiB) Viewed 8240 times
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Indeed it does look close. Good luck to you sir.
Mike