Laying the Track Wire

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Keld
Administrator

Laying the Track Wire

Post by Keld »

It seems very easy to lay the wire like this, and this is the method if you are making the track surface with plaster or card.

But there are also a opportunity to routing the wire, doing this you need to start drawing the track, the routing a small slot, and then gluing the wire in the slot.
The problem with routing is that the slot has to be very accurate, it doesn't work if the wire is going up and down in the slot.
It also gives some problems when the track raise,the router can't handle routing when track are going up and down. so doing this you need to routing all slots before raising the track.
/Keld
WesR

Re: Laying the Track Wire

Post by WesR »

I think your comments re. routing are exactly right.
I have just discovered Plaster Cloth Wrap. (As used to plaster cast your leg!)
This is used for scenery for model railways and is about the same thickness
as the wire so I am just trying it now. This could be another alternative.
Best wishes to you all. Wes Raynor
WesR

Post by WesR »

Further to my comments, I think the problem with routing is routing the
flat area for the lane change plate. This also must be exactly level with
the bottom surface of the wire and must be perfectly flat.
WesR
oldslotracer

Post by oldslotracer »

I'm routing my test track, using a 1/8" bit set to .7mm depth. The extra width allows the wire to flow smoothly around curves and there's room for glue to hold the wire down. For the lane change plate, I just rout an area bigger than the metal plate (at the same depth) so that the plate can be positioned properly. I'm using E6000 to glue in the wire, but I'll use Crazy Glue to glue the plate in place (to avoid the thickness of E6000).
Once everything is filled and painted it should all stay securely in place.

It's only one method, but I'm comfortable with it and already have all the tools

Thanks to Wes for the system and all the good tips on his website and thanks to Keld for this forum
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Luff..... Have you tried an automotive putty called Allmetal? We have it available in the States. Works just like regular bondo, but this stuff is full of metal particles. When done a magnate will stick it it. Thinking of trying it for my track.

Joel