Idéas for 1/24 chassis

Ned's instructions for building a chassis and attaching a body to it.

Moderator: Ned

Keld
Administrator

Idéas for 1/24 chassis

Post by Keld »

Hi Ned
Hope it is ok too post here, maybe other user have input too.

I hope the chassis you will make for 1/24 bodies are going to use some standard parts allready suitable for 1/24 slotrace cars, that will make it easy to get all over the world.

I hope for 2 chassis, 1 to fit old classic cars like porsche 908 and 917 / Ferrari 512 etc.
and 1 to fit modern GT cars, thats 2 groups I know there is a huge public too in 1/24 slotracing.

The cars used in slotracing 1/24 is with 3 mm. axles, ball bearings, 6 mm outside, 2,5 mm wide and flanged, wheels used are 21 mm GT and 16 mm Classic rims with a outer tyre diameter on 25,2 - 26,5 (front/back) GT cars and 23,0 - 26,0 mm Classic
that give you a clue to how the wheel size should be when you design the chassis, I think that is important since a wheel to smal or to big will ruin the look at the car and you need to get it right if you want the correct magnetic contact to the wire in the road. and also not having to big road high on the car, we normally go with 1 mm. but up to 2 mm will look ok on the cars.

I have made some test chassis my self, and think that if we want the front wheels to run good we need 2 ballbearings in each wheel, that give 6 in total for a car, ballbearings can be bought on ebay to $ 0.27 each so that is just 1.5 usd for those.

Gear we use M50 that is a standard size with a huge amount of producers and gear size, I have almost 100 kinds in stock so it is possible to find the right gearing http://butik.slotworld.dk/produkt-kateg ... nhjul-124/

Wheels also aviable in both do it yourself and ready for run options, http://butik.slotworld.dk/produkt-kateg ... -indsatse/

the pcb used today can not handle 2 batteries, but 1 should still be fine, maybe a future pcb can handle 2 batteries.
but I still think you should make space for 2 batteries, if not used for anything else, I can used the second one for nigthracing, led light on the car would look nice and can be made for a very small amount of money and in less than 2 gr. http://butik.slotworld.dk/produkt-kategori/lyskit/

I also suggest that there is used a standard C-can motor, those can be found in 100's of different types from almost nothing to fine race motors for those who want the best, and a motorsupport which allowed adjustment of the motor if you need another gearing, not all want the same thats depending on the car weight and track design.

there are probertly more, so 'ill be back'
/Keld
Ned

Re: Idéas for 1/24 chassis

Post by Ned »

Thanks Keld. Keep the ideas coming.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Concerning batteries:

A 1/24 scale chassis can easily accommodate two 10440 protected batteries. If they were wired in parallel the output voltage would be unchanged but the capacity would be doubled. It would be like adding an extra fuel tank. Assuming the same motor and gearing for the car, runtime would be about doubled, but max speed would be unchanged. The stock receiver board on the chassis would be able to handle this case.

If 2 batteries were wired in series, output voltage would be doubled but capacity would be unchanged. In this case the max no-load RPM of the motor would double and thus the max top speed of the car would be about double, again assuming the same motor and gearing. The stock receiver board may not be able to handle this case. The higher voltage may fry some of the components as well as the motor.

Fully charged 10440 batteries put out 4.0 - 4.1 volts. The voltage declines to about 3.5 volts before the car stops running. The electronics in the car would have to handle 8.2 volts, if 2 batteries were wired in series. I mention this because Keld suggested that we use a standard C-can slot car motor. I think these motors run on 12 volt DC power. Is that correct? If so, the max no load RPM of a C-can motor running on 8 volts would be 8/12 = ⅔ of the RPM when running on 12 volts.

A C-can motor running at 8.2 volts in a heavier 1/24 scale car would also draw more amps than a stock magracing motor running on 4.1 volts in a 1/32 scale car. Therefore, the electronics in the car would have to handle the higher voltage and the higher amperage required of the C-can motor in a 1/24 car. Does anyone know for sure if the current electronics in the stock magracer can handle this higher voltage and amperage? Has anyone done any experiments?

Does anyone know what the no-load RPM of a stock magracer motor is running on 4.1 volts? Does anyone know what the no-load RPM of a common C-can motor is running on 12 volts?

I doubt that a C-can motor running on 4 volts would work for a 1/24 car. Has anyone experimented with running a C-can motor powered by one 10440 battery?

Are the C-can motors used in 1/24 slot cars basically the same as those used in 1/32 slot cars?
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

I talked to wes about that and he asked the producent and the answer was no, it will probertly burn.

10 volt to a 180 gr slotcar is fine 160 gr is fast with 10 volt and the motor take not more than 3 amp when starting, 0,6 when driving.

I did make a start of a chassis, placing two batteries, one in each side between front and rear wheel, because it is thebest place to add weight.

But will the new board handle?
/Keld