Sedona Arizona Outdoor Garden Track

Tell us about your track, post a picture from the track together with description

Where is the track located, and is it open for visitors like a club track,
Ned

Sedona Arizona Outdoor Garden Track

Post by Ned »

My track is permanently located outside on the ground unprotected from the weather in Sedona, Arizona, USA. The inspiration for the track is the switchbacks of highway 89A in Oak Creek Canyon between Sedona and Flagstaff. Thus, my track is not a representation of a typical dedicated race track but instead a model of a road course circa 1970.

The first ½ of the road, the easy part, is finished. It has all been exposed to the weather for at least 6 months and survived our recent winter which included a near record 8” snowfall on January 1. I plan to build the remainder of the track a little differently, so it can be stepped on occasionally without suffering any damage.

For detailed information on how I built the first part of the track visit viewtopic.php?f=5&t=293 I will continue to post information there that is relevant to the topic of “Materials, Tools, and Techniques for Outdoor Track”.

I will post on this thread, “Sedona Arizona Outdoor Garden Track”, photos and videos of progress on my layout as well as some racing when I find enough guys able to race.

The following montage is comprised of photos and video clips taken last month. It illustrates the features of my track, the capabilities of the cars, and some of the amazing possibilities of the magracing system developed by Wes Raynor. With enough land, you could build a realistic 1/32 scale model of a dedicated race track or a road course through the countryside, with 1/32 scale model race cars running at realistic speeds. The track is inexpensive to build using my method and putting it directly on the ground keeps costs to a minimum. No table to build. :)

You are all welcome to test your skill on my track. Just bring your best car! :D PM me for directions. I welcome your comments and ideas.
Lasp

Re: Sedona Arizona Outdoor Garden Track

Post by Lasp »

There are some races at the calender that worth wisiting!
This is One!
I get married in Las Vegas many years back. Got hints about job in CA several times.
Maybee there will bee a trip to a special MagRacing Track in the future.
I should love it.
Great job and nice feeling Ned. Hops You can collect some race companions. Thanks from Lasp :klap
vmibert

Post by vmibert »

WOW!!

I am impressed. Having spent some time in Sedona before myself, I can see that you certainly did a great job at making your track look just like the area - including Bell Rock, Schnebly Hill, etc. I especially like the back drop. Did you paint that, yourself?

I'm still working on mine. Once you get the slots cut, getting the wires in doesn't take so long.

Bert
rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

fantastic, i am reading your posts about material and building it. very interesting,will make some things like you do. waiting for better weather to start my outdoor project. keep on like this, and thanks for sharing your experiences. best wishes markus.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Glad you like the road course. Much work remains.
I had a lot of help with the backdrop. A retired art teacher from Alaska, who was visiting a friend here in Sedona in January, worked with me (or rather I assisted him). He did the hard part and I helped with the part that required little skill. We spent a lot of time mixing latex house paints to get the correct colors. Unfortunately latex house paint changes color as it dries. We worked from a color photo taken from highway 89A at the top of the canyon.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Here is the video which somehow disappeared from the first post of this thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU8kwPQYDnk&t=4s
Here are some photos taken in November 2020 and January of 2021. The weather is hard on my track.
Attachments
IMG_20201101_164951084 (1).jpg
IMG_20201101_164951084 (1).jpg (117.64 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
IMG_20210126_103759793 (1).jpg
IMG_20210126_103759793 (1).jpg (100.07 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
IMG_20210124_172724096 (3).jpg
IMG_20210124_172724096 (3).jpg (128.24 KiB) Viewed 2169 times