Oval Track Builds Show Them Here

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
WesR

Re: Oval Track Builds Show Them Here

Post by WesR »

Nicely built track and good video Ken. Looks like the perfect starter track. I guess you discovered that the cars need to be running straight when they hit the lane changes
which is one problem with a small track. One advantage of more grip on the rear (i.e. masking tape) I must admit is that cars straighten up more quickly.
Vintage 1/24

Post by Vintage 1/24 »

WesR wrote:Nicely built track and good video Ken.
Are you talking about my test track video link (I originally posted to another thread in this forum) - or did I miss a video or something? I am not Ken, but I am trying to follow along...

And I am still hoping to see pix/video of 'goatdope's 8' by 16' setup - really want to see how these run a larger oval.

- Vintage 1/24
goatdope

Post by goatdope »

To Vintage 1/24 ; Still looking for 8 drivers to do testing. Garage night still hasn't happened. My invitation is out there. I simply must make a video with 2-3 cars for demo purposes. [ a picture is worth a thousand words ] The track was set up under a portable 20 x 10 enclosure for about 12 days, until storms came through. During this time I finished the pit area and glued clear plastic to the wall through the turns. Now when the cars glance off the plastic, less speed is scrubbed off because of friction. Also I devised a kind of "safer barrier" at the pit exit and entrance whereby the wall gives an inch or so when hit head on. Hitting the wall anywhere head on is only a problem with novice drivers or those bent on suicide. Timed runs were made over ten laps for all cars at racing speeds for comparison. The fastest car was just over 1 minute , with the next 5 cars within 5.5 sec. and the two slowest within 9 sec. This is at 3.8 oz. weight on bare plastic tires. If nothing else, am getting experience setting up track, [ 2 hrs. complete ] teardown was less than an hour and that included the removal and folding up of the enclosure panels ! The whole thing [ less enclosure ] fits in my pickup truck with the tailgate down. It would easily fit in a standard van. The idea of running 1/24 scale cars is workable with this track because the hard plastic bodies I have weighed came in at only 1.6 oz. so the existing motor is fine. There is an infinite number of 1/24 scale bodies available. Ken