Oval Track Builds Show Them Here

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Nor Cal Mike

Oval Track Builds Show Them Here

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

I thought I would start an open thread for those who have built or are planning on building dedicated oval tracks for their MAGracing cars. Hopefully this will leave Wes's Nascar Oval thread open to his announcements on the new Nascar car and oval system which he is developing. So here it is, I'd love to hear what you are doing.

Mike A
WesR

Re: Oval Track Builds Show Them Here

Post by WesR »

I thought it was time Mike had something on this thread! I had hoped to post
a video but without success. There is a short vid on You Tube 'Race practice'
showing 4 cars running on the oval.
One benefit of reverse on the cars is that tracks can be built right up to the wall(s).
Providing you leave access for work on the track. We are racing very successfully
without any track marshals.
WesR

Post by WesR »

Track access
Oval may 23 vids 007 (640x480).jpg
Oval may 23 vids 007 (640x480).jpg (199.18 KiB) Viewed 17563 times
WesR

Post by WesR »

Lane change locations have been moved several times and I made a small jig
with 2 magnets to position the l/c plate to the correct depth below the surface
of the track. Unfortionately I got it a little high and cars would not consistently
turn due to too much magnetic pull downwards. One layer of masking tape made
all the difference.
The l/c shown is from the inner lane to the outer (the only one!) The position is
shown on the wall as can be seen.
One problem we found was that the pit inlane is close the the track and cars
spinning out when going into the pits interfered with cars on the track.
Next mod. I think is to move the inlane further from the track and build a wall
between them. Martinsville has this I think.
One thing we have learned re. lane changing is the importance of well fitting
steering parts and wheels and I think we need to look further at this.
WesR

Post by WesR »

Lane change
Oval may 23 vids 010 (640x365).jpg
Oval may 23 vids 010 (640x365).jpg (154.37 KiB) Viewed 17562 times
WesR

Post by WesR »

Only problem with the masking tape on the track is that it can start to peel up.
Having proved the point, it's probably better to remove it and skim some filler over the area.
New pic shows rubbing down the track again. Very important to rub down with a flat block after painting until the wire shows through. When everything works perfectly,
then touch up the paint.
Ovals May 30 013 (640x480).jpg
Ovals May 30 013 (640x480).jpg (188.76 KiB) Viewed 17506 times
WesR

Post by WesR »

Heres a pic of a new adjustable grp chassis we are working on. It goes well with
the saloon bodies. Have learned a lot from the Nascars. I thought initially that we would be better with heavier wire and replaced one end of the track with .036" but now I think it's not necessary. It is more important to get the wire flush with the track surface. Also the car steering must be very free but with minimal play/slop in all
components. I think we need to do more work on the front wheel axle hole to fit the stub axle better.
The problem with heavier wire is that the cars can stick on it when being driven back onto the track.
Ovals May 30 009 (640x365).jpg
Ovals May 30 009 (640x365).jpg (152.96 KiB) Viewed 17505 times
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

You are right Wes R.
The layout and tread making is essential.
I have tested with the thickness of 0.6 mm insted of 0.8, and using two wire at the same place.
Its not nesseserly to have the msame magnetic strenght at the hole track.
The latest, not the last, track I have been using a sort of light plaster.
Will continui too find out.
goatdope

Post by goatdope »

Good news to report. As many of you know, I have been working on a 1/32 scale 1/4 mile modular motordrome. The track , when assembled is 16 ft long by 8 ft wide. The pit area is at one end and adds 2 ft to the length. I apologize for not sending pictures , so just use your imagination. Loosing my garage space forced me to set up the track in good weather. The last test session was cut short because of high wind blowing all sorts of debris out of my trees and onto the racing surface. Since that debockle, I bought a portable 10' x 20' enclosure which is a good 100' from my storage shed. I now use the bolts that held the modules together for alignment only [ no nuts ] and use "C" clamps . This saves time. I was able to set up the entire track complete with pit area, retaining walls & fence, plus the small fence around the pit area under the enclosure in 2 hrs 10 min. As for the cars. We had 4 days of good weather and all 8 cars were given a good flogging. Many laps were run for consistency with the average lap of 6.5 sec. The difference between the fastest car to the slowest is a mere .4 sec. The faster cars , when pushed to the limit will randomly experience a loss of magnetic coupling at the end of the straight. This can be recovered from with left steering input but at the cost of loosing the inside racing line. Am very happy with the results . Have discovered that the distance from the pickup shoe to the wire is critical. Thinking of a way to make measurement off track. Also discovered that magnets are best for mounting the bodies. [thanks Wes] This made the cars a little heavier however at 3.8 oz. The next thing to do is make a rack for my pickup truck to transport . There is a local "Garage Night" of guys that heard about the track and are keen to see it . They meet every Tuesday, so we'll shoot for June 10th. I just know this will be a smash !!! Would also like to put my name on the list for 10 adjustable chassis as soon as they are available.
Vintage 1/24

Post by Vintage 1/24 »

goatdope -

This 8' by 16' oval sounds *just right*. You have to grab someone with a smart phone or something to take pix, or even some video. I really want to see how a larger purpose-built large oval runs with this system.

Here is a link to my small test track from the "My Track" section, back in early 2013:
http://www.magracingforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57

I haven't really done anything with this - but I still have an interest.

Very interested in seeing what you are running...