Can anyone please post a photo of the inside of wheel/tire?

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Oldgoat

Can anyone please post a photo of the inside of wheel/tire?

Post by Oldgoat »

:) All magracers

Kai is unable to order his first car till later and I need to show him a inside shot of Magracing's wheel/tire, I can't cause my son has my camera. He a old time rim maker and he is brain storming about our hard tire and rim situation.

Thanks if anyone can do it.

I was thinking about when SOMEONE makes a adjustable WB frame, maybe adustments to axle type/size(like threaded for assorted wheel types and diff. compond rubber for flat, semi-gloss and gloss track surface for performance adjustments) Sorry to ramble on all, just throwing these ideas out there for the rest of you to think about.

thanks again all

Chris
Oldgoat

Re: Can anyone please post a photo of the inside of wheel/ti

Post by Oldgoat »

Hi all

I think the tire/wheel are all one piece of plastic and I will not tear my only operating car apart to find out.

Are we going to go to adustable WB & width with tire/wheel combos like I posted in my above post? If so we better try to make all the adjustments as a group before we all go off in many diff. approaches and made nothing work.

I have been going through pure h-ll trying to mate many bodies to one wheelbase when we could come up with a adjustable WB/width for all bodies and also have wheels and tires to finish off a great car. Not that specific class racing with same set rules can't still be used and limiting other classes to a set of rules agreed on by the whole.

Thanks again

Chris 8-)
Kai

Post by Kai »

Can you do some measures?
OD and width?
How are the frontwheels, identically?
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Kai wrote:Can you do some measures?
OD and width?
How are the frontwheels, identically?
I posted the OD ealier
No not the same, fronts are smaller.

http://www.magracingforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=46#p46
/Keld
Kai

Post by Kai »

This monday, or next monday, I hope to be able to visit Keld, and try'n'touch the thing.
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Chris,
It was hard to get a well detailed picture of the inside of the wheel given my equipment and lighting but I was able to manipulate the exposure settings in photoshop to make the inside a little more visible. I hope this helps.

Rear wheel
Front wheel

Mike
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Oldgoat wrote:Hi all

I think the tire/wheel are all one piece of plastic and I will not tear my only operating car apart to find out.

Are we going to go to adustable WB & width with tire/wheel combos like I posted in my above post? If so we better try to make all the adjustments as a group before we all go off in many diff. approaches and made nothing work.

I have been going through pure h-ll trying to mate many bodies to one wheelbase when we could come up with a adjustable WB/width for all bodies and also have wheels and tires to finish off a great car. Not that specific class racing with same set rules can't still be used and limiting other classes to a set of rules agreed on by the whole.

Thanks again

Chris 8-)
Chris, Interesting ideas. I too can't help but to think far ahead of where I am now regarding this mag racing. I am looking at 1/32 slot car chassis as possible donors. Any flat pan type chassis should be easy to adapt. The front axle assembly simply bolds onto a flat pan on Wes' chassis so why not any other flat pan? Of course the the steering coil would need a mount but that should be easy to accomplish with any L shaped stock that can be glued or screwed to the pan. To accomplish a narrower front track, all that would be necessary is to fabricate a pair of narrower front axle beams with corresponding narrower tie rod. Stock spindle assemblies could be retained or possible some more precision spindles could be fond in the RC world. MiniZ spindles come to mind.

A longer wheel base body might allow the battery(s) to be mounted in line to allow an inline motor configuration. A sufficiently tall body could allow the use of shorter but fatter 16340 batteries in the transverse position with a narrower wheelbase. These batteries have more mAh rating so they should able more weight or more motor. If Wes' small motor is retained, it could be mounted in its current sidewinder position but behind the axle. If the battery(s) are mounted forward of the axle I think their mass would more than offset the rear motor placement for handling purposes.

I am not attached to the quick pitstop thing since I doubt that we would run a heat or race as long as the 20 minute battery window. As long as the body is easily removable like in Wes' magnetic body system, I am not attached to having the ability to load fresh batteries from the bottom of the car. This opens the possibility of different battery mounting and size options while not cutting large holes into the structural integrity of a slot car, pan type chassis. Using a slot car chassis opens the whole world of slot car axles, gears and bushings.

Speaking of more motors, this brings to mind all of the electric tooth brush motors that I have been using in some of my slot cars. All are designed to run on two AA batteries in series which amounts to 3v. That is exactly in line with Wes system. I have several cheap Crest tooth brushes that I bought at a fire sale for a dollar apiece that use can drive, C can motors on 3v. worth of batteries. Wonder if they will work? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mike
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

;) Mike,

Thanks for the sharing of your thoughts, I knew some one out there had the same thoughts.

I sure didn't think about the elec. fang cleaners, hehe, I was wondering where Wes had gotten the 3.4v motors other then just rewinding a 12 v. arm. to that voltage. Or just find a supplier some where locally in UK. How can you tell which brushes have the cans that we need?

I saw that Keld was not too happy with the rubber tire idea but I sure did not mean the sticky softies that the sloters use. I was hopping with a combo of tire compond along with track surface to get to the best of both worlds and still keeping the look/feel of realistic table racing.

Before I forget , THANKS for the shots for Kai on the wheels. Hope he understands this now and great that he can go see Keld and see hands on.

I guess I was correct that they are made from one chunk of hard plastic? or poured into a mold.

The idea saves money and time in production , but our thoughts are (what if)? we do this and this, etc And how can it be done and still keep the magracing feel of true classic racers?

Off to work on the test track over a mug of hot tea.

Mike you can't have it bad just with the cold, I woke this morning to find my 50ft.x20ft pole barn connected to my 2.5 car garage laying on my 2 tractors and many other items with over 3 feet of snow on top, it had ripped from the garage over the night and still is in the single digits on the temp gauge.even in daylight. called the insurance co. to file a claim. Not all bad, no one was under it when it happened. thank the godsLater all

Chris
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Chris. Too bad about your barn. You are right. My 29 degree temperatures and dry weather are miniscule in comparison.

Like you I am thinking of harder compound tires. I just want them to be flexible enough to allow them to be stretched over a slot car wheel. Think bias ply rather than radial ply tires. I am also thinking of 50's vintage cars with skinny tires which also limits traction. Of course all of this is easy for me to say since I have only a small amount of time on my mag steer cars.

Mike
Kai

Post by Kai »

Hi.
I visited Keld yesterday, and had great fun.
I'm NOT the guy making upgrades for this ;)
I found the cars perfect balanced, as they are.
Super-hubs made for performance would simply be overkill to the entire concept.

If (and when) I make some, because I have too :) I will go for a dual o-ring solution, or a tire that looks like a elipsoid in a cut-view.