4' X 8' oval test track (go kart track)

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Vintage 1/24

4' X 8' oval test track (go kart track)

Post by Vintage 1/24 »

Had this running pretty well on New Year's Eve, but I added a little joint compound (like plaster) and some paint and I have lost some of the magnetic effect - even missing lane changes much more frequently. I guess I will sand it down and take another attempt at this...

I think the wires really have to be kept as close to flush with the surface as possible.

Also, the hard plastic tires are very slippery and it takes a bit of finesse to work the track well... Oddly the car handles much better running clockwise than counterclockwise - it might be the slightly offset motor (to the right) or some static steering adjustment Hey - maybe it has something to do with driving on the right side in the UK?

Before I modify the cars and tires, I want to get the setup to work as well as it can/should as developed and delivered - that is before I go to foam or silicone rubber tires, etc.
Joel, LeNoir

Re: 4' X 8' oval test track (go kart track)

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Good to hear your test track is coming along. What gauge wire you using? Wheels/tires.... What are you thinking of running? I think weight will play a large factor. May need to upgrade the motor. I will be ordering quite a few aluminum. wheels and testing the weights. May have to end up casting resin wheels.

Keep us updated on this. Looking forward to your conclusions....
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

I am also happy to hear of the progress. Yes I believe that it is important to keep the wire right at the surface of the roadway. which means the depth of the slot, if you are imbedding your wire below the wood, is critical.

I too am interested in different wheels and rolling parts. I'd like to stick with slot car parts since they are plentiful and offer a wide variety. May have to come up with a harder compound tire than the slot car guys n gals are using.

I hope to do a test run today as well. If the sheetrock mud is dry enough. My shop attic is pretty cold right now so the drying process will take longer. I will report later.

Mike
Vintage 1/24

Post by Vintage 1/24 »

Joel, LeNoir wrote:Good to hear your test track is coming along. What gauge wire you using? Wheels/tires.... What are you thinking of running? I think weight will play a large factor. May need to upgrade the motor. I will be ordering quite a few aluminum. wheels and testing the weights. May have to end up casting resin wheels.

Keep us updated on this. Looking forward to your conclusions....
So far I am using everything as supplied from Wes - that is I am using the 22swg piano wire as shipped directly from MagRacing.

I used the Dremel approach as described on this site, and it seemed perfect - the wire flush, exactly where it should be - and it worked well - all four lane changes functioned properly, and the cars were "stuck" and steered pretty well.

In retrospect I think I simply went a little thick on the spackle (joint compound - plaster) and the latex paint may be a little thick as well...

Regardless The track works much less well than before it had 'paint'. I will sand it down and be more cautious about build-up I guess.

*Before I modify anything* I want to have this working as well as possible.

As far as what I am thinking about tires - Well, the cars can handle a bit of weight and still run decent (at one point, I added lead weights and took note of the handling changes). So for traction, I think I will simply fit some Pro-Tracks (the aluminum/foam wheels/tires are pretty light) - then get the track a little "rubbered in" and see where that takes me. We could always add more magnets on the rear of the chassis to keep the car stuck in the corners!

Silicone and rubber are another thought, but I am so familiar with the foam tire approach from the "commercial track" slot car world that I think that is the way I will go...
Vintage 1/24

Post by Vintage 1/24 »

Nor Cal Mike wrote:I am also happy to hear of the progress. Yes I believe that it is important to keep the wire right at the surface of the roadway. which means the depth of the slot, if you are imbedding your wire below the wood, is critical.

I too am interested in different wheels and rolling parts. I'd like to stick with slot car parts since they are plentiful and offer a wide variety. May have to come up with a harder compound tire than the slot car guys n gals are using.

I hope to do a test run today as well. If the sheetrock mud is dry enough. My shop attic is pretty cold right now so the drying process will take longer. I will report later.

Mike
Yeah it is definitely a process - I moved the racing lines and lane changes around that first day - and now I think I could revisit the layout with what I have already gleaned... but I am still just trying to get everything to work well before I make any major changes to the little "go kart track". The plastic tires on dusty MDF or dusty plaster will have you on a tightrope - requiring a lot of finesse to work through.
Vintage 1/24

Post by Vintage 1/24 »

Good success last night -

I sanded off the paint and spackle and got down to the bare wire again - tweaked a lane change and had a great running little track. I added some electrical tape to one of the car's tires and it did handle better. It is fun to work traffic and use the driving line.

I have to clean up the appearance of the little oval and shoot a video and then figure out how to post it.
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Vintage 1/24 wrote: shoot a video and then figure out how to post it.
If you try you can be certain that I do what I can to help.

I'm happy to hear you are running again, I made a little adjustment my self today, Kai was visiting me and try out my test track with both standard tires and with tape on them, both work fine but a little advance for the taped ones.
Looking forward to see your track here.
/Keld
Vintage 1/24

Post by Vintage 1/24 »

There is a bit of discussion about my test track on a thread I started on the Home Racing World site - It has some pix and *video* as well:

Slotless MagRacing Oval Track

I will add a post later in the MagRacing Forum "My Tracks" section...
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Great to see your track, I post your video here:

/Keld