Modular tracks

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Double Naught

Re: Modular tracks

Post by Double Naught »

Excellent Lasp! Are they interchangeable? If you take the straights out do the lanes match up to make a circle? I am having trouble with my design. One of the local fellows reminded me that the 1 meter squares that I wanted to make won't fit in my Toyota Corolla! That's one thing I want is to be able to toss the track in my car, bugger back to the drawing board.

Paul
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

I've been working on some modular track pieces and need some advice please. I've decided to go with 3' x 3' or 3' x 4' that will fit in the back seat of the car. I tried 4" lane spacing and found it to wide, then tried 3.5" and it worked fine (a little more rubbing), what do you think of 1/2 of that say 1.75" and the cars can not pass? What about 2.75" or 70mm just enough to pass? Any input would help, please comment.

Paul
Attachments
DSCN1427c.jpg
DSCN1427c.jpg (30.28 KiB) Viewed 17488 times
DSCN1411c.jpg
DSCN1411c.jpg (32.17 KiB) Viewed 17488 times
DSCN1404c.jpg
DSCN1404c.jpg (30.4 KiB) Viewed 17488 times
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

70 mm is absolutely enough for passing another car.
I am little bit anoing about the 99 mm carrera or 78 mm for Scalextric and Ninco in some between.
The feeling with MagRacing will be the little differens between the lines at the track.
I have now build a banked 180 degrees corner with 4 lines in it!
Maybe there will be a pictures tomorrow ;-)
Remember On a real racetrack you can´t make overtaking at all places!
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Here is a picture from the banked curve!
As you can se, there are four lines of wires and the other and inner has a distans between them at 70 mm.
The hight is ower 80 mm in the middle.
More is to come.
Attachments
Tre cars at banked curve.JPG
Tre cars at banked curve.JPG (63.83 KiB) Viewed 17478 times
Raudi1

Post by Raudi1 »

While 70mm is enough on a straightaway, as Lasp suggests it is not enough to allow for passing in a corner.

My observation is that the cars do not maintain a tail slide nearly as great as a slotcar without leaving the wire. Also because they do not accelerate nearly as quickly and need at least 5-7 feet of lane length to complete a pass. This needs to be considered especially on any very short tight layouts. If the lead car misses a lane change and you still cannot get by even if right behind him what is the penalty? If you cannot pass racing becomes pretty dull.

We varied the distance considerably from one corner to another depending on what we were trying to accomplish and this will depend on what section preceded the corner and what follows it.

I feel you need to look at your layout as a whole and figure out what at the areas passing can occur and where you will merely be penalizing in time or distance the driver who misses a racing line change. In these corners you might wish to change the lane spacing to as much as 150mm to penalize the outer lane.
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

That banked corner is cool Lasp! Can we see a video of it running please! Yes I was wondering about the corners Raudi, at 3.5" or about 89 mm we were having some rubbing but the cars ran well and only seemed to push the car off line and you could pass.

Thanks for the input, Paul
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Back from holidays, 2 weeks in Italy and saw the F1 race at Monza. That was a blast!
Now back to MAGracing. A modular oval to test some ideas. Still under construction but it is coming along. Ahhh! to many wires! I'm not sure I would recommend 7 lanes to anyone, this has been very tedious to build and is my first try at the "Keld" method. Testing triple lane changes also, with mixed results. And a photo of the 4 lap counter sensors. I'll do a video soon to show it running.

Paul
Attachments
DSCN1488c.jpg
DSCN1488c.jpg (35.58 KiB) Viewed 17310 times
DSCN1500c.jpg
DSCN1500c.jpg (32.58 KiB) Viewed 17310 times
DSCN1505c.jpg
DSCN1505c.jpg (34.9 KiB) Viewed 17310 times
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

wouw many lanes, looking forward to se a video from racing here
/Keld
WesR

Post by WesR »

Paul, Very jealous of your trip to Monza. I've been fortunate to get to most european circuits
over the years but not there. I believe the fans and the atmosphere are fantastic. Just waiting
for Hamilton, Button and co. to be in with a chance and I shall go.
Your new track looks a challenge, looking forward to a video.
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

'Yes the multiple wires are interesting and fun to drive. I think it may have some merit. Yes I enjoyed the race, we were right in front of the Ferrari pits and in the middle of a bunch of Tifiosi. We had lots of fun, the trains were trying at times but the environment was very neat. We also stopped by Maranello to visit the Ferrari Museum for the afternoon. Oh yeah a wax Enzo!

Paul
Attachments
DSCN2265c.jpg
DSCN2265c.jpg (29.69 KiB) Viewed 17269 times
DSCN2221c.jpg
DSCN2221c.jpg (44.02 KiB) Viewed 17269 times
DSCN2518c.jpg
DSCN2518c.jpg (46.21 KiB) Viewed 17269 times