paint with metal powder

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Oldgoat

paint with metal powder

Post by Oldgoat »

Everyone,

Keld's magnetic paint idea brings up another thought.

Using it instead of all the music/welding wire in lane constuction==== just a thought.

applying it in a thin line and wider where you use L/C plates.

think on it gang.

Chris :ugeek:
Keld
Administrator

Re: paint with metal powder

Post by Keld »

I don't think the magnetic effect in the paint is good enough but we will try.

remember to lay 3 or more layers to build up magnetic effect
/Keld
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Keld
Did a search on line and found rather cheap for the powder, in many diff. sizes . All you do is add to it to a flat primer or what ever.

We forget the power of the magnets are on the tiller connected to the tie rod on the steering think this powder can be more metalic then the wire. testing will show, sounds like fun hehe.

Chris
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Found the supplier is 4 hours from where I live, I'm in WNY state and they are in Penn. So I will be ordering some powder to give my idea a try, will post the results as they happen.

Chris :beer
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

For more than a year ago. I tested magnetic paint on a door (slotdoor of course) and make a video.
You can se that the cars not nearest is behavier more smoth with magnetic paint on the corner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1asqAHsG ... detailpage

Hops it will give an idea.
Its very importent to stir the painting very frekvent when you paint. And the can is very Heavy ;-)
masmojo

Post by masmojo »

Hmm, Not sure what you might accomplish by using magnetic paint with these cars? If you are using it for the guide you will need to confine it to such a small area to be effective othe wise the cars will "wander" and probably go off track very easy!? If on the other hand you are using it to increase traction and grip you might also run into problems with that, because (as I understand it) the tires on these cars are low grip on purpose! It would be easier to fit stickier tires, but as already reported this will cause the car to be boring to drive. :)

NOw, that said, maybe it could be of some use in the lane changing area's? :think
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

The purpose was to test a magnetic hold on a slottrack with tape.
Here is another test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPKe9AsRgu0
As Yoy can se, at the same speed the cars swing out in the down curve, but goes quit right in the upper.
But! No, I dont think that magnetic Painting will do anything dood for MagRacing.