Controller for lefties - wrong way around...

Questions, Tips and Tricks about the transmitter, the electronics in the car etc.
oldslotracer

Re: Controller for lefties - wrong way around...

Post by oldslotracer »

Everyone that's run on our track said that after a few minutes, they didn't mind the controllers. Most of us hold it in the left hand, horizontally, and steer with the right
ravajack

Post by ravajack »

Please also be sure to check a continuation of this topic that has diverged into another thread here.
Some facts about the Magracing RC controller's proportional throttle properties may soon be revealed. :thumpup
ravajack

Post by ravajack »

Gentlemen:

I've now just finally found and sifted thoroughly through this old, long, interesting
and very revealing thread about this subject over at another forum (SCI):
Slot Cars Without Slots! (34 pages - 497 postings, phew!)

I now also have at way better understanding of most aspects of Wes's Magracing
concept, and can now only wish that I had done that prior to starting blabbering
about any flaws and shortcomings, deduced largely from misconceptions and poor
reading and understanding of both postings and pictures.

For this I sincerely apologize to each and everyone that has been aggrieved by my rant.

(But I still think that Wes's transmitter/contoller is too much RC-like and "leftie in design
for the average slot racing enthusiast. There still is a serious need for a true right-hand
triggering device...) :beer
ravajack

Post by ravajack »

Here's a shape and design of a nice, round and
cozy controller that might inspire for the future:
Trigger for speed, the black "bulb" is a wheel for steering.
Uni-dexter model for both left and right handed people.
gascarnut

Post by gascarnut »

On one of the many slot racing forums I read, there was a post yesterday about a previous attempt at this sort of slotless racing, I forget the name now. When I find it I will link it here.

What I noticed was, the controller had a pistol grip and trigger like the Magracer does, but the steering wheel was mounted on the top of the unit, so it could be used either way round.

Seems to me this is a sensible solution rather than just saying "get used to it".
gascarnut

Post by gascarnut »

I found the post:

http://slotblog.net/topic/40239-gt-supe ... l=slotless

Here's the controller:

The black "bulb" is the steering wheel.
Raudi1

Post by Raudi1 »

As an open forum here's my $.02 worth.

Despite being a lefty, I never considered slot controllers right handed. Although some twenty years absent from model racing, most serious slot racers started with the universal Parma Grip and custom built the unit to their liking. The placement of the various knobs made little practical difference and could easily be reversed if annoying.

RC controllers are clearly left handed but a whole generation seemed to have adapted well enough.

I understand the design given Wes's background and am thankful he at least spared us the hokey sponge tire steering wheel. While it might have been better to have an ambidextrous model as pictured above, the internals appear simple enough that continuing the steering shaft through and adding a wheel to the opposite side should be simple enough. Whether this is done as a factory option or an aftermarket conversion I guess only time and demand will tell.
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

When we drive, we hold the controler flat with the steering wheel on top.
But soon you dont need a whel or a button ;-)

I am experimeting with tilt rely, buttoms, so slightly movments to the right side or the left side will give the signal too the frontwheel.