Noob question

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
rccanuck

Noob question

Post by rccanuck »

Hello! :)

Forgive me for being completely ignorant on this subject. I've been following the information on this site and I have a quasi grasp on how the steering works... or maybe not?

I would like to tinker, but don't want to invest too much time or money unless I achieve something that works for me and I can create / re-create a few cars.

With that, here is my question...

Would something like the below work if I were to either use the parts and 3D print a frame and body OR just use this as is and attach a magnet on an arm and attach it below to the steering?

https://www.banggood.com/Banggood-1-or- ... mds=search

The steering is auto centering and non-proportional so I don't see an issue of "clicking" left or right over a gap to turn the car on the racing line, or would there be? I believe you can also hold the steering line by holding the steering wheel if need be.

If you are curious as to what's inside this little guy, this YouTuber opens it up around the 3:00 min mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qux2yJAbUcQ

I understand that wheels make a difference, so I would replace those wheels with 3D printed ones to allow for a bit of drifting on turns.

Ideally it would be awesome if I could magically copy a larger build to build small 1:43 Formula 1 cars with my 3D Printer. :mrgreen:

Also, are there any videos of the underside of a car showing the magnet and the steering turning left and right?

Thank you for your patience and I again apologize for my ignorance. :D
Ned

Re: Noob question

Post by Ned »

MagRacing chassis are designed to follow the guide wire embedded in the track surface, even when the steering wheel on the transmitter/controller is turned left or right. That means that whatever mechanism is used to steer the chassis via the transmitter/controller, it can not be powerful enough to overcome the guidance provided by the wire in the track and the steering magnet located between the front wheels.

The top of the wire should be flush with the track surface. The clearance between the top of the wire and the steering magnet should be about 0.008”. If the chassis and track are designed and built properly, the steering wheel on the controller is able to steer the chassis only when the magnet between the front wheels is NOT directly above a wire in the track. This normally occurs when running over a gap in the wire (which is unusual), when running over a lane change plate, or when recovering from a crash.

Lane change plates are typically about 2” long, .25” wide, and about 0.008” thick. They are typically installed so that the top of the plate is about 0.020” below the track surface.

I watched the YouTube video. I didn’t see anything that could be used to make a magracing chassis, except perhaps the steering motor with pinion gear and the gear that engages the teeth on the steering rack. More than likely, the torque provided by the motor with the gearing combination would be too great or too little.
rccanuck

Re: Noob question

Post by rccanuck »

Thank you Ned for your clear and thorough explanation, this makes much more sense of how it works!

Seems to be a balancing act of magnetic force, which makes this much more interesting.

Thank you again!