New in Notts

Tell us about you self, where you from, your car/cars, where you are driving your MAGracing cars etc. etc.
Trevor Allen

New in Notts

Post by Trevor Allen »

Hi folks,
My name is Trev and although I've not been involved in any r/c racing as yet, I used to race Scalextric and slot cars many years ago. I have also been a wargamer for the last 43 years, and found myself scanning videos on utube just before Christmas. MagRacing struck me as an excellent opportunity for me to continue with my modelling and add a nicely competitive element as well. I ran many racing competitions for the Sheffield and Rotherham Scalextric Racing Club back in the early 80's. I also ran many wargames events around the UK throughout the last 20 years, and I'm considering the chance of helping with any events for MagRacing as I now intend to get some cars from Wes, having had a go on his track. The first thing is to get at least 4 cars, and build a circuit. At the moment I'm hoping to hear from Wes that he has sorted the r/c issues so that I can buy into the cars and r/c units. I am also looking to obtain a lapcounter from Canada...........first thoughts expensive, but I now see it as an investment as long as it will run on Windows 8.1! That only leaves a little track building, and I feel that can be dealt with over a couple of weeks in the very near future.

One thing I'd like to find out, is how many competitors are there for this in the UK at the moment? I'm obviously interested in how people are doing things in the rest of Europe and the States and some of the tracks and videos are awe inspiring. This forum has a good cross section of players/competitors/drivers (sorry don't know what to call all of you yet?), but from what I've seen it would be good to expand the number and encourage some form of formal racing set up. If this is already in place, please let me know. If not you can expect to see a small venue/circuit appearing in the Shirebrook/Mansfield area in the "very near future".

Really looking forward to getting this underway, as I am most impressed with everything I've seen so far.

Trev
goatdope

Re: New in Notts

Post by goatdope »

Hello Trevor, Welcome aboard. Glad to hear of your enthusiasm about "Mag Racing". The sport needs people with experience. It is a great concept that in my opinion, beats traditional slot cars in realistic racing action. So realistic in fact, that one unforeseen stumbling block is the apparently small percentage of people able to drive competitively. I've been at it for a year now in the USA with a scale 1/4 mile modular "Motordrome". The chassis I had to stretch in order to fit under late modle stock car bodies. I sincerely believe that passing a drivers test is required in order to allow racing in competition. Speaking from experience, after a few laps, the racing action on my walled oval quickly decays into a destruction derby. Most young men are too aggressive and undisciplined. My 29 yr. old daughter however is a fine driver. Wes has experienced much the same problem. Keep this in mind when you get up and running. I cobbled together a red ,yellow, green light system from model railroading stock in an effort to impose order on the track. Good luck to you. Ken
Trevor Allen

Re: New in Notts

Post by Trevor Allen »

Thanks for the comments. Some time a little bit of age helps!

:yes