Modular tracks

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Double Naught

Re: Modular tracks

Post by Double Naught »

While discussing modular tracks with the local guys it was suggested that maybe using 3 foot by 3 foot squares might be the way to go. You could also do 3" x 6" sections, if they were that large you could take advantage of the track width and do 180 degree corners. If they could be connected from the top you could lay them on the floor like Keld is doing with his or set on a table. Does that make sense?

Paul
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Do You want some photos?
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Here comes some tip.
I start with very small paper in this case 50mm x 70mm because the material is 500mm x 700mm I start drawing a line 100 (10) mm from the edge end the next line another 10 (100) mm.
Its now easy to make up the racing line and put blocks together.

Hops You understand my description.
Attachments
Basic blocks.JPG
Basic blocks.JPG (87.42 KiB) Viewed 16174 times
sex blocks.JPG
sex blocks.JPG (108.92 KiB) Viewed 16174 times
Small blocks.JPG
Small blocks.JPG (128.12 KiB) Viewed 16174 times
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Because the limitation I continiu here
Attachments
PICT9188.JPG
PICT9188.JPG (44.05 KiB) Viewed 16173 times
Bigger block.JPG
Bigger block.JPG (67.33 KiB) Viewed 16174 times
Hairpin with Race Line.JPG
Hairpin with Race Line.JPG (102.42 KiB) Viewed 16174 times
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

I just wanttoput up some track.
sex pieces of the modular.
magracing i korridor.JPG
magracing i korridor.JPG (20.16 KiB) Viewed 16139 times
And very fun with reverse on the cars.
dan.gerous21

Post by dan.gerous21 »

Hi everyone,

New here and been reading everything about this system with interest.

I agree that if it is ever to reach a mass market then a modular track needs to be created. Out of interest will it run on a standard scalextric track? Not powered up, but will it lap ok on this - if so, the solution is relatively simple and might just need a modification of existing systems. Of course this would be expensive to set up, but thats a case of finding investors and would make this a potential main stream product.

At the moment Im trying to convince my wife that I need some of these cars, so can only ask stupid questions!

I look forward to learning more,

Kind regards

Dan
Raudi1

Post by Raudi1 »

Welcome to the forum Dan, always good to have new people interested as this is what it will take to grow the hobby/sport.

A thought I have not personally tried it I would be very surprised if the cars ran at all on a modular slot track let alone ran well. Remember the wire being used is .7mm, the size of a small sewing needle, and Wes determined that if increased to about 1mm there was a noticeable difference in the car's performance. If your track has any more steel than this things will only get worse.

I do agree that for the sport to really take off it will take a modular ready to run track, as not everyone has a large space the can or wish to devote to a permanent hobby layout. I believe this will be much different than slot tracks though. For starters it needs a rail or edge to contain the cars to keep them from running off the edge and room for the cars to use their reverse to rejoin the track. Also it takes about 20-24" to complete a smooth lane change and a racing line takes an entire corner.

For these reasons I believe Lasp and Double Naught are on the right track, and a good modular track will consist of 3-6 large panels of maybe 3' x 5'. Though not as compact as a modular slot track this could still be assembled quickly indoors or out and still be stored when not in use. In fact I believe Wes illustrates a couple on his website.

The tough part is engineering a quick and simple connection system. The good news is that the materials to construct this are far less expensive than any slot track and nowhere near as complex
dan.gerous21

Post by dan.gerous21 »

Hi Raudi1,

I see your point about the size of the rails on a slot set being a bit much for the magnets, and the runoff.

I wonder if a system like a giant jigsaw would work http://rubitoff.com/interlocking-floor-mats/ that could have the track printed on it. I think lots of different curves and straight sections could be made to work in an endless combination with careful placement, and it could also be made in MDF or lighter materials. This is what the guys seem to be doing but the jigsaw bits could solve the interlocking and a CNC machine or router jig would make short work of this.

Personally I will build my own, but I know plenty of people that cant change a lightbulb, let alone create a scenic race track!

Its such an exciting project, I am putting any further mods to my scalextric digital on hold and going to head in this direction instead. It will be awesome if we can convert existing slot cars or similar in the future, but for now I just want good racing.

Oh well back to reading the forums, so much to absorb.

Cheers

Dan
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Hi Dan, That's interesting that you thought of the floor mats. One of our local racers thought of the same thing, he had bought some that were 2'x2'. He was thinking to glue some wood to the top and use the interlocking sponge to hold it together. I am sure it would work. I am still designing and keep coming back to 3'x3' so you can do a 180 corner in one piece of wood with room to spin out and drive back on. I also bought a pocket screw jig so that I could screw the pieces together from the top (good if you are assembling on the floor) where the guard rails are. Keep designing.

Paul
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Its not hard to held the bricks toghetre. In my example I use cardbordtape.

Today I also tested to route a spuer (1mm) for the wire in the material I am using, Sintra or Forex!

My idea is to make the bricks as large as i can, to fit in the passangersite in my wifes car! I dont own a 1:1 car ;-) Cheaper.

The 3mm material is so light that the size is no problem. I tested to sandy down the edge and the cars will go very smoth ower to next brick.

So now, I want some clever layout, please . I have material for 5 or 6 bricks of 120 cm x 140 cm