A question for Wes

Questions and Ideas to track building, how are you doing it? need help? new features? share your ideas.
Double Naught

A question for Wes

Post by Double Naught »

I was reviewing the information on the MAGracing web site and was wondering about the lane change plates and wire. The wire is .028" in diameter and the plates are .010" in thickness. I can get .025" and .032" piano wire from my local hobby shop, from your experience which would work best or should I get some .028" as you recommend. The experiment that I did with the staples .021" worked fairly well but the car could be turned off of the staples at some points.

Thanks, Paul
Lasp

Re: A question for Wes

Post by Lasp »

Hello
I am also thinking of the small plate betwen or in the L/C. Wath kind of matera and for wat reason?

I am using two types of board material, both 3mm. The first is something called Forex or Sintra A PVC type of material
Usualy this is 3200mm x 1200mm but I get it from a container outside a printing store. Very god for normal slot racing tracks.

The other material is for advertisement signs. Plastig 0,2mm bubbel like honeybeecake inside and another 0,2mm plastic coat. All ower 3mm
I just cut a line with a scarp knife and then glue the wire or tread in the slot.
Mostlly invisible for the road!

But was is the different betven 1mm tread and 0,7mm ? Is the Piano tread mest or just sutiable for the purpose?

As Ypu all se many qustions, and I hope you understund my poor english writing says Lasp ;-)
WesR

Post by WesR »

Hi All, Re. wire thickness, .032" would be fine. Our Linford 1 track has in fact .036"
(20swg) wire. Thicker wire gives more grip for the steering magnet but cars are then
more likely to spin whereas with .028" wire we feel there is a better balance between
oversteer (spinning) and understeer (over shooting the turn) Understeer is preferable
as the car then clears the track. Anything over .036 wire with a .010 plate and you would have to reduce the steering coil power or the car would turn off the track.
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Thanks for answering Wes and yes the .032" works just fine. When I mounted the lane change plates went a little thick on the contact cement. That brings up another question, could you use a triangle rather than a rectangle for the lane changes when you are running in both directions? When you have a "Y" and are going towards the single wire I have one that you can steer off of easily. Could you use a triangle so that both edges converge into one lane.

Paul
oldslotracer

Post by oldslotracer »

DN...in my experience, driving over a lane change plate in the "wrong" direction works fine as long as you don't steer. I don't think the shape of the plate will help. I suppose you could run some wire parallel to the plate to catch the car and guide it back to the main wire.
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

You are correct Luf, it seems to be a common error that the drivers make. We are all novices (obviously), and of course I see it as a failure of mine in the performance of the track. I think the next one might be unidirectional.

Paul