MAGjag

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Joel, LeNoir

Re: MAGjag

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Good work. Just wondering...... How many would be okay with resin aftermarket body/chassis.
PDX Bryan

Post by PDX Bryan »

Hi Joel,
I wasn't quite sure of your question.
Are you asking everybody if they're interested in resin body ( and chassis) cars as opposed to modifying slot car bodies onto stock magcar chassis?
I would be interested in the resin cars if they were affordable and interesting historic bodies like can-am, 60's-70's endurance, trans-am, 50's sports cars( the usual suspects) with decent proportions and a little detail.
I hope that answers.
Bryan
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Joel, Count me in.
I'd love to see body like Paul's MAGjag. and others like it. I'd almost rather see them in clear vacuform rather than resin though. I say that only because of the weight factor.
Mike
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Can am & group 5 is all I do. On sci my call name is 1/32 slotter. Have lots of my resin bodies posted.

,Mike, I talked to Wes about the weight some time ago. He said they were running hard bodies in the beginning and saw no problems. Agree..... more testing needed.

.Sidenote.... Almost have a McLaren M6A chassis ready with your short battery. Many thanks. Will be sending you a kit when finished.....
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Hi All, Still working on the Jag as it can look much better with a little help. I would like to try resin casting with these cars just because I really like the detail that can be achieved with the hard bodies. I have done urethane tires with good results but need to learn more about using multiple part molds. One question was how easy is it to do clear plastic for the headlights and windshields? Or should I use lexan for the windshields fill the headlights in?

Paul
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Paul I have casted clear before. Very hard to do. I am casting under pressure and still get some bubbles in the product 3 out of 4 times. Vacing is much easier....

I think you did a wonderfull job on the jag. Keep up the good work.
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Tiny Motors makes clear windscreens for the Stromy Jag. http://www.tinymotors.net/Pages/restopa ... resto.html
It is a half screen so the widening strip in the center of the body won't effect it. No sense re inventing the wheel if there is already a source. They make a screen for the TR250 too but since it is full width, the widening strip in the center will matter.
Mike
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Hello, Thanks for the information Joel and Mike. Yeah much easier to buy the parts! I had heard about Tiny Motors but hadn't been to the website. Thanks again.

Paul
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Paul, I followed your most excellent que by widening my Strombecker Jag body to fit Wes's stock mag chassis. Thank you very much for the idea Sir.
This is the very rough cut. I haven't yet added the skirts or the rear pan as you did. Filling and sanding to follow.
Thanks! :yes
Mike
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

:yes Joel,

I also can be counted in and guess I start to widen my Jag this weekend also.

And I will begin to cast whole bodies in clear resin to see if it can be done without bubbles.
Will keep you all in the loop and going to tiny motoers to check on windscreens. My used 1/32 bodies came in yesterday , all six of them. frame fitting today also after my honey-dues.

later gang :beer
Chris