Car IDs

before a track could be used for serius racing and not only for practice, there must be a lapcounting system.
acboother

Car IDs

Post by acboother »

Coming late to the party, sorry.

I can see how the track part of the system works but cannot find any information about the part that fits onto the car. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Cheers Alan
acboother

Re: Car IDs

Post by acboother »

I've been back through previous posts and most of the image links are not functioning, or the image has been scrambled or download is no longer there. Please can someone help.

Cheers Alan
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Hi Alan.

Yes it's a pity with old pictures - they got missing in a previous system-crash-upgrade.

Some of us may have access to originals and can re-post.

The best way would be to add a comment to the post you'd like to get re-posted and maybe someone can.

I'll do my best on posting.

Please feel free to ask.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
acboother

Post by acboother »

The issue I have is knowing which posts to try and get more information for.

Ideally, for me at least, someone can point me to the information that explains what is on the car in order to work with the lap counting system. I'd guess it's some sort of LED like on the slot car systems but home grown.

Cheers in advance
Alan
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

To make it short, ( Use the search on the top right of the forum board page. )

MAg1 the original cars has an onboard IR-LED blinking a signal sequence giving it ans ID from 1-16 (#0-F) with a dipswitch to choose ID.

Cars with std 2.4 Ghz radios does not have it.

I have done some reverse engineering to make and add on for those cars.
V1 has a set ID - none changeable ID - so I make the ID I need and add it to my cars. ( Or for those who would have.)

V2 will have an ID to be chosen bye the driver at startup. This is a WIP and I intend to have it ready this fall when we get our NEW
radio with ESC onboard this fall.

To use the ID in a timing system you need to reverse engineer the ID-system or use the Racecoordinator and make the RECIVER board and a Arduino with program to read it. ( search Racecoordinator )

I have made the receiver board available for you to assemble.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
acboother

Post by acboother »

So some electronics on the originals controlled the LED but it did not make its way to the 2.4G system?

I think I'm going down my own route with this. I can and, if I do it, will build on technology I already have. It's a very sophisticated slotcar controller which is wired or wireless and I have also started a LIDAR car project using the same system for the basis.

My thinking is to use the uProcessor on the car to send information back to a central monitoring 'station' and be triggered by passing over/under a light beam at the start/finish. The uP doesn't have to be doing too much apart from motor and steering control and can be sitting on an interrupt for passing the start/finish. As I read elsewhere the 'station' could be proactive in the running of a race and enforce pace cars, fuel usage etc etc. But let's not get ahead of ourselves...

If someone has the info about the LED on-board the car that would be interesting (in case I have a change of direction in how to do this... okay pun intended a little bit).

Cheers
Alan
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

This sounds like a all but small project. :-)
Hopefully you can cram it all into the cars and have a sound battery life.

Otherwise there are always the KISS way to go.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
acboother

Post by acboother »

Loads of it all in place already otherwise it would be uphill all the way.

No problem squeezing it into a 1/32 car, even using parts off the internet.. Battery life... well if you are used to 3minute races slotting it'll be okay.

May go to a smaller N20 sixed motor though and 7.4v (speedy but I have brakes!).

cheers Alan
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

OK, bear in mind we get up to 30 min on a charge with current setup.
Still we need a number of batteries and If you use on battery pr. 2x3 minutes of racing some will get bored with changing batteries.

As for adding more batteries - keeping the original 1 cell battery is good for staying with the original concept.
Diversifying MagRacing before we have huge community - that is not on my wish list.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
acboother

Post by acboother »

Don't worry. This is just for me.

3 minutes is the standard race length at the slot car club.