1/24 scale 2.4g Magracing.

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
WesR

Re: 1/24 scale 2.4g Magracing.

Post by WesR »

I built a 1/24 car last year but somehow it never seemed to go well. Probably I didn't persevere enough as I recently resurrected the car and, with a few mods, I am now quite enjoying it. Certainly the radio gear is much easier to install, as is the CR123 battery and I think that the overall cost could be less than a 1/32 car. Probably with a routed flat pan chassis and 3d printed components. Video hopefully attached. https://youtu.be/QPZCZzSoL1Y
Ned

Post by Ned »

Wes, your car appears to handle very well. What size magnet did you use in the steering arm to follow the guide wire in the track? Also, what is the diameter of the guide wire in the track?
WesR

Post by WesR »

Hi Ned, The guide magnet is a standard 4mm diam. but the steering arm is longer so this, of course, increases the effect.
The wire is 1mm. The track I built last year, after my break from Magracing, had 0.8mm wire. This was ok for 1/32 cars but I struggled with the 1/24 car but I also felt that the track radii were too tight for the bigger car so I built this larger track with larger radii and I played safe by using 1mm wire. My biggest concern with using heavier wire and/or larger magnets is that the cars will not drive across the wire when being driven back onto their lane after an 'off' but this has not proven to be a problem. In fact the 1/32 cars went so well that I lost some interest in 1/24. The building/manufacturing advantages of 1/24 still seem such that I decided to give it another try. This car also goes well as a free running r/c car and this could increase it's sales potential. Not that this compares with Magracing as far as I am concerned but many thousands of 1/24 r/c cars have been sold.
davidwp

Post by davidwp »

Hi Wes,
I now have a place for a track, so I have dragged out my mag steer test car from 2010 (as shown in a previous post above) and want to upgrade it with the latest equipment. Are you willing to share information and pictures of your latest 1:24 chassis, particularly how the front end and steering override are set up?
Thanks, David
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

What electronics do I need to buy if I want to build a 1/24 car, the flysky controller, has it a number?
A receiver for 2.4ghz which’s ?
A part to controls the front wheels.
A list would be nice to have.

I have access to a laser cutter so i can cut parts really precisely

How do you make the steering?
/Keld
WesR

Post by WesR »

Good to see the interest in 1/24 cars. The radio you need Keld is Flysky fs-gt2b, as photo. I just googled this and the cheapest came out at £ 18.99 , around 22 euro. on e-bay. This model will include a rechargeable battery in the controller and the standard 2/3 channel receiver. Be sure to get this one, some older versions still need dry batteries. I have 5 of these, all good! All from the far east. About 3 weeks delivery. I usually remove the rx case to reduce the size.

You will also need one micro/mini servo. The size of these is around 21 x 19 x 8mm. The one in my car is by Turningy and these are probably the best, about £6.65 Part no. 144A I think.

There are 2 suitable 2 amp escs (speed controllers) One without brake and one with but I have not managed to get the brake working yet so this is a small problem. I will give more info later, not much time today.

Hopefully I will start soon on 3d printed parts to screw/glue to a flat chassis. A full 3d chassis would be more expensive I think. The car in the photo is a very rough prototype but goes well and I think we would probably go for something of similar layout.
DSCF0847 (2).JPG
DSCF0847 (2).JPG (121.49 KiB) Viewed 18773 times
DSCF0844 (2).JPG
DSCF0844 (2).JPG (151.55 KiB) Viewed 18773 times
davidwp

Post by davidwp »

"Hopefully I will start soon on 3d printed parts to screw/glue to a flat chassis." WesR

Exactly what i am looking for - hope to see something available soon!
davidwp

Post by davidwp »

My Hartland 0-4-0 radio controlled locomotive and my 11 year old 1:24 scale RC car converted with magnetic steering following a wire taped to the bottom of the card stock sheet. This is my goal to have trains and cars running together. I do want RC steering control over ride so that the cars can run autonomously or be raced through the streets.

WesR

Post by WesR »

Looks good David, I like the steam sound. What we need now is a Ferrari V8 sound!
Attached hopefully are pics of my latest 1/24 prototypes. Going to 1/24 has been quite difficult. Not just a question of increasing size by 33%. The mass/weight of the model is more than 33% and I think that the magnet fields do not necessarily
increase in proportion to size, etc. etc. so I have had lots of experimenting to do. Also I am bending to pressure and using foam rubber tyres ( albeit high density/hardness) but, with no differential, the cars are more difficult to turn so greater magnetic guidance is required. The first couple of prototypes shown look rough and well modified but they are going well and I am enjoying the challenge. 1mm wire seems ok with a 4mm dia. x 4 magnet (up from 4 x 3) One problem with the servo steering is the restricted lock 'off the wire' but I am experimenting with larger diameter magnets on the servo and track rod and these seem to have a wider magnetic field and give more lock.
DSCF0891 (2).JPG
DSCF0891 (2).JPG (139.74 KiB) Viewed 18386 times
My first 1/24 vac formed body is progressing and should be finished and painted soon. The Ferrari 312 is a small car and my model is pretty much to scale so only about as long as a 1/32 Nascar but the extra width and height make fitting standard rx. and esc.,easy, even with std. JST connectors.

My latest car has the Magnetic racing rx/esc board. This has quite a severe brake, a bit fierce for 1/32 but just about right for the larger, heavier cars. Loads of space for this and the chassis could be much slimmer.
DSCF0891 (2).JPG
DSCF0891 (2).JPG (139.74 KiB) Viewed 18386 times
Attachments
DSCF0898 (2).JPG
DSCF0898 (2).JPG (99.06 KiB) Viewed 18386 times
davidwp

Post by davidwp »

Glad to see the progress, Wes. The latest looks good! Anxious to see production versions, are you considering an adjustable wheelbase?