Alternative battery?

BriG

Alternative battery?

Post by BriG »

Hello everyone,

I'm sure someone must have already explored this option, but I just popped open my digital camera to recharge the battery and noticed that it is a 3.7v 720mAh lithium ion battery that has a nice size that would fit into almost any 1/32 body, it measures 1.25" wide, 1.55" long, and .25" thick, a nice compact rectangle. Of course it would not fit in a chassis set up for a AAA, but with a modified chassis it seams it could really make good use of the space.

Just wondering if anyone has thought about it or checked to see how it would do powering a magracer.

Thanks

Brian
Ned

Re: Alternative battery?

Post by Ned »

The power of the battery would probably be fine. But the battery won't fit in a chassis that is 2.0" wide with a 3.0" wheelbase, assuming you use the same steering coil and PCB. Using the same steering coil and PCB, it would fit in a chassis with a longer wheelbase but the battery would have to be located above or below the PCB. That would make the chassis thicker requiring the elimination of most of the car interior.
HeliumFrog

Post by HeliumFrog »

I have had a look at some similar batteries to these. The camera batteries seem to be quite expensive, however it may be possible to use the ones from mobile phones as these are readily available. The only downside is the connections on these tend to be the spring loaded type, which are quite difficult to engineer for a small volume manufacturer such as ourselves.

I do however think that this type of battery is a good idea. The main reason is that the battery we are using now (3.7v AAA) you may have noticed is becoming much more difficult to get hold of. I believe that they are being phased out in Europe due to some new EU legislation. You can still buy them direct from China though.
BriG

Post by BriG »

Thanks guys,

When I get to the point of experimenting myself with some cars, I may still try a few things with seeing how that battery might work. I just really like the shape of it, box vs. cylinder.

Thanks for the replies.

Brian
HattyDamp

Post by HattyDamp »

Hi...i am a new user here. I think the battery won't fit in a chassis that is 2.0" wide with a 3.0" wheelbase, assuming you use the same steering coil and PCB. Using the same steering coil and PCB, it would fit in a chassis with a longer wheelbase but the battery would have to be located above or below the PCB. That would make the chassis thicker requiring the elimination of most of the car interior.
Ned

Post by Ned »

The magracing standard 3.7v 10440 battery will fit in all of my chassis. Two of them have wheelbases under 3.0" and most are narrower than 2.0".
See https://www.shapeways.com/product/XNFL6 ... d=61344387
Molinna

Post by Molinna »

Has there been anything new regarding alternative batteries in the last couple of years?
WesR

Post by WesR »

The CR123 is certainly easily available and I have built several cars using this over the years, there are plenty of pics in my posts but the main problem is with the diameter. For serious racing, sports car bodies are the way to go and, in 1/32, most bodies are too low for this battery so I have gone back to the trusty 10440. Just bought some recently. No problem but from China of course.
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

I have tried to find alternative batteries for some time.

I just got some 18500 3.7 that could be ok for the 1:24 chassis.
Clocking in at 1400mah it is about 3 times the power of the AAA. Certainly 3 times hevier to.

I'll make a rezised batterycompartment and test it in a 1:24 car soon.

Pic for comparison. The black is only 3V so not usefull, the full 18650 is too big I think.
IMG_20230303_112525.jpg
IMG_20230303_112525.jpg (133.31 KiB) Viewed 6275 times
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Racing Regards

Kim K.