2.4ghz cars

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
WesR

2.4ghz cars

Post by WesR »

My car is now running. Had to build a track first, having demolished the last of my 6 or so tracks some time ago!
I have added a magnet to the adjustable screw in the track rod plate (3mm dia x 2) With a similar magnet on the servo arm,
the space between them is around 4mm. It's now working much like the coil and there could be some advantages to using a servo. Plenty of adjustment, with the tx trim and rate to play with. There are lots of options which could be tried but the 2 magnets in line attraction is very simple and does cause the cars to run straight, both on and off the track. Also the voltage drop which affected the coil slightly will not affect the servo.
The speed control is a simple 2 speed 'lash up' using reed switches and one resistor. I am sure a suitable ESC can be found.
Hopefully tomorrow I can take a video.
Attachments
DSCF0384 (640x347).jpg
DSCF0384 (640x347).jpg (183.94 KiB) Viewed 19197 times
WesR

Re: 2.4ghz cars

Post by WesR »

The rx is the std. Flysky with the case removed. I wasn't sure how difficult/easy it would be to remove the connector pins so
I soldered to them.
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Hi Wes this looks promising.

Looking forward to a video clip. I guess the crucial part is adjusting the steering servo hold to be just enough to let the wire be able to steer when needed.

Can you overpower the steering to brake free of the wire without the wire-cut out ?
Racing Regards

Kim K.
WesR

Post by WesR »

Last edited by WesR on Thu 18. Jan 2018 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
WesR

Post by WesR »

Kim, Yes, with the track rod/plate magnet fixed to a screw, this adjustment is very easy.
As with the previous coil system, the steering servo power must always be less than the guide wire magnet power otherwise the car would leave the track as soon as steering was applied. This is easily adjusted again by altering the gap between the servo and track magnet or changing the size of the magnets.
This track has two of the plate type lane changes and one with a 20mm gap and the alternative route wire running approx. 5mm alongside.
WesR

Post by WesR »

I have now fitted an esc and it works perfectly. The part number is 'K012R mini 2A brushed ESC with reverse 1.5 gram' Cost was £10.99 on Ebay. The Magracing motor draws less than 0.5 amps at stall.
I have stalled the car many times by driving both forwards and backwards into the barrier with no problems, As can be seen, the esc is very small . Overall I think that the car is now better than the original cars and would be less expensive. Unfortunately I don't think that sports car bodyshells would be possible with the standard JST connectors. The radio is small enough but the connectors are too large!
So reluctantly I think we would have to go to 'hard wiring' which not everyone could manage but I have some ideas to make it easier. Hopefully the video link will work but the Board is not accepting my photo.
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Hi Wes Please recheck the last link. Can not get it to work.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Sorry worked in Crome.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Hi Wes.

It would be very useful if you'd bother to give us the measures of the magnet placement on your car. Both on servo : center height and magnet measures and on the steering rod as well.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
WesR

Post by WesR »

Hi Kim, I gradually reduced the magnet size and the ones I am now using are 3mm diam. x 3mm length. The servo arm
magnet is approx 6mm from the centre. The space between them is approx. 2mm. On my car they are not aligned very
well but work perfectly. Mounting the track rod magnet on a screw gives very easy adjustment. I have just taken a close up
photo but still cannot post it!
Re. motors, there are plenty about. Martin has some, Magracer has some, not sure why these are not on price lists.
Ned will soon have some and I have hundreds. I never found any ex. stock and had to have 1000 made. It is best if everyone stays with the same motor.
After my break from Magracing, the 2.4 radios have given me new enthusiasm and I may build a new track for racing so your help with lap counting may be needed!