Alternative Wheels

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Ned

Alternative Wheels

Post by Ned »

Does anyone make 1/32 scale wheels for slot cars with a 2 mm or smaller bore in the hub? Are wheel inserts available too?
Would appreciate help finding wheels which can be adapted to a magracer chassis.
HeliumFrog

Re: Alternative Wheels

Post by HeliumFrog »

I have 3D printed some wheels which did work, but they are not as good as bought items. I used rubber tyres which made the print and sections quite small. You could model some up and get them printed at shapeways etc. Small items will be quite cheap.

Probably the best thing to do if you don't want to do that would be to do it the other way and modify the chassis and drive gear to take a larger diameter 3/32" (2.38mm) axle and then use standard wheels. A 3/32" headed pin could be used for the fronts. The only thing that might be an issue is how much relief in the rear of the front wheels is available for the steering knuckle.
Ned

Post by Ned »

HeliumFrog wrote:Probably the best thing to do if you don't want to do that would be to do it the other way and modify the chassis and drive gear to take a larger diameter 3/32" (2.38mm) axle and then use standard wheels. A 3/32" headed pin could be used for the fronts. The only thing that might be an issue is how much relief in the rear of the front wheels is available for the steering knuckle.
I agree. Do you know where I can buy 3/32" pins with heads?
Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Ned! Sorry that I dont have reply earlyer.
I get many of my tools from TopNslot.
HeliumFrog

Post by HeliumFrog »

@Ned

Do a google search for "round head rivets 3/32" " or whatever size you want. You should find copper, steel or brass.

Martin
Ned

Post by Ned »

Thanks for the tip Martin. I found & ordered some 3/32" x 1/2" stainless steel rivets and some 2.5mm x 12mm stainless steel fine thread machine screws. Received them yesterday. I'm sure that one or the other will work well with front wheels designed for 3/32" axles. I may have to increase the bore in the wheels a few thousands but that won't be a problem. May also have to shorten the rivets slightly which I don't expect to be difficult. Of course I'll have to enlarge the hole in the stub axle carrier to accommodate the larger diameter axles. That too is easy as long as you have the correct diameter drill bit. Speaking of drill bits, I have about 50 different size carbide bits ranging in diameter from .053" to .125". I buy used bits from DrillBitsUnlimited.com in Pittsburgh, PA, USA. They cost only $0.88 each. 50 bits including shipping cost less than $50.