Wes's Adjustable chassis.

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
WesR

Wes's Adjustable chassis.

Post by WesR »

DSCF9584 (590x472).jpg
DSCF9584 (590x472).jpg (255.67 KiB) Viewed 17059 times
Ned has been asking me about our prototype chassis and I realised that I has not posted any info. on the Forum.
Here's a pic. of 2 chassis, one in grey ABS plastic, the other in white Styrene. These are vacuum formed from 1.5mm sheet.
3d printing is excellent for prototypes and small volume production but vac forming would be cheaper and quicker.
Other pics. show a finished car with a Nissan bodyshell. Wheelbases for the sports cars and the Nascar saloons is around 90mm (3.375") The width of the standard car is just about right for both classes.
The slightly more space inside these body styles enabled the use of the CR127 battery which is more easily available than the 10440 and also seems, to me, to be more reliable in the protected form. I also moved away from using magnets as connections to using spring brass strip with magnets to hold the battery in place.
The body fixing, with a horizontal peg at the front and 2 magnets at the rear, seems more reliable for racing.
Attachments
DSCF9076 (3).JPG
DSCF9076 (3).JPG (145.36 KiB) Viewed 17059 times
WesR

Re: Wes's Adjustable chassis.

Post by WesR »

DSCF9586 (590x440).jpg
DSCF9586 (590x440).jpg (208.74 KiB) Viewed 17059 times
Couldn't get this pic. on the previous post!
rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

looks very good, specialy the shorter battery
goatdope

Post by goatdope »

Looks good Wes. Would it be possible to stretch the wheel base to 3 11/16" ? Ken
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Nice

and it is a good thing with a separate rear wheel section, then it will bo possible to adjust in lenght fitting many cars.

Not many of us can make a vacuum form, but there are some there can make drawings and then make them avaible on the forum, and everybody can then order them from shapeways, or if some one in here will make them.
/Keld
Jeee

Post by Jeee »

if you start changing stuff why not include a minor change to the steering even though perfect steering is not required with magracing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann ... g_geometry

seems a very simple and easy adjustment.
Jeee

Post by Jeee »

WesR wrote: The slightly more space inside these body styles enabled the use of the CR127 battery which is more easily available than the 10440 and also seems, to me, to be more reliable in the protected form.
I suppose it is the CR123 instead of CR127?
Jeee

Post by Jeee »

Not taking in consideration the vac forming did you ever consider using a bar over the length of the chassis and hanging everything on that? That way with such a short battery if you manage to decrease the electronics a bit you can also put the battery diagonal or in the length of the car.
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Nice indeed Wes.
Looking forward to some videos AND availability ?
Racing Regards

Kim K.
WesR

Post by WesR »

Yes the battery is a CR 123. Ackerman is already designed into the steering . I built these chassis some time ago. They were featured on our Facebook and videos but not on the Forum for some reason so my fault if no one showed interest.
Still more tooling needed to produce them so better to look towards 3D printed versions.