Suggestions Sought for New Chassis Design

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Ned

Suggestions Sought for New Chassis Design

Post by Ned »

After consulting with Wes, I have decided to proceed with the design of a new chassis. My interest in this project stems from my desire to marry various slot car bodies to a mag chassis. Some examples are shown below.

None of these bodies will fit the standard mag chassis without some modification. In the case of the small 1965 Chaparral 2C, it requires extensive modification. Prototypes of chassis will be designed in 3D and produced with a 3D printer. For many reasons, which I will not enumerate or comment upon, I am not interested in totally redesigning a chassis from scratch. I’m looking for marginal improvements to what I believe is already a good chassis.

What changes would you suggest for a new undercarriage given:
no change in the current 10440 rechargeable battery
no change in the printed circuit board (receiver chip)
no change in the steering coil
no change in the motor
no change in the scale, 1:32
no change in the plastic material from which the parts are made?

Everything else concerning the undercarriage is subject to change. What do you see as the current deficiencies? What features would you like in a chassis, which are not currently available? Most importantly, what would prospective mag car enthusiasts want? I will try to incorporate your suggestions into the design. If all goes well, I’ll produce chassis for other magracers. Please let me know what improvements you would like to see.

Wes is not interested in participating in this project but he has given me his blessing on it.
Keld
Administrator

Re: Suggestions Sought for New Chassis Design

Post by Keld »

It's a good idea and you can just make it available in shapeways so everybody can order it there and buys a car from wes to change.

I think there should be very few changes, only adjustable length of the chassis is needed,

To fit it on a existing body using the original body mounts you will need 2 million different chassis so that is absolute no go. instead I think about making 6-10 screw holes in the chassis, then make a tube in ex. 2 cm. length, to buy alone, depending on the car you can buy 3-4 tubes and find the best holes to fix them in.
cut them in correct length and glue them in the chassis or you can use magnets just like wes does.
/Keld
rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

hello all, i used the original magnets to mount the bodys on the chassi. cuted the slotcar mountpoints out of the boby and made it like with the magracingbodys, only glue the magnets on the right points, ready. you can adjust the high very fine with the original screws. to adjust the lenght, longholes and ,,L,, shaped rearaxleholders on the right and left, wich will be screwed from the underside. holes only every few mm will never fit exactly. the lenght has to be fixed in less than 0,5mm, or the wheels will not stand exactly in the fenders, and that dont look real. i made my chassies with a carriage, where the axle and the motor is installed on it.i glued them on the chassiplate, but this can be screwed in longholes in every lenght too. fotos are here in the forum. also we need no complete new chassi, only cut of the rearaxleholder and cut some longholes. i wish everyone a happy new year markus
rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

next car i will make adjustable to show what i mean.
rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

SlotCarRental_com

Post by SlotCarRental_com »

I just ordered myself a new Form 2 for $3500 USD, plus some extra resin.
I will not have it for 12 weeks though, that is how long they are back ordered.
So I have plenty of time to work on my own chassis designs.
Already drew ideas in 2D, based on a super universal/adjustable 4wd Mini-Z chassis design I drew up a few years ago, but never 3D printed, maybe I will finish it and print that now too.

The more adjustable the chassis is the heavier it will be... so the mag racer version will likely have less features/adjustability, and will definitely NOT be AWD.

I am curious what parts of the mag racer's steering geometry can change, needs to change, and needs to stay the same...
I really want to get it to fit solid tires, without having to put the knuckles inside the tires mass, but that moves the knuckles inward, and causes the wheel to swing around too much.

So anyway...
I may be able to print parts for people.
I am in Goodrich Michigan, USA, so consider shipping rates.
If anyone intends to print a lot... just order a whole bottle of resin ($150-$175) and a build tray ($60) for yourself, and I will put your name on it, and only use those when you want prints.
http://www.FormLabs.com

Also check out 3DHubs.com to find someone local to you, I just put my machine up on there, but it will not show up until I actually get my machine.

-
Ron
MagRacer

Post by MagRacer »

Good idea with this thread :-)
And I also agree that it is mainly the adjustable wheelbase that is needed, the car, steering and electronics works just perfect :-)

Some time ago I made this chassis, a very simple version of a adjustable chassis.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/DNKPW ... -wheelbase