ESCs and experiences.

Questions, Tips and Tricks about the transmitter, the electronics in the car etc.
kiklo
Administrator

Re: ESCs and experiences. More learned. Turbo-lag cured.

Post by kiklo »

The tiny ESC that I claimed having 'Turbo-lag' : I have cured it.

This one as well got much better when I revered the wirering to the motor. Now no turbolag, and a slight braking on low speed showed up.

SO - Well worth noticing - test reverse wirering if you see strange behavior from any ESC.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Re: ESCs and experiences. DasMikro 7ch Nano

Post by kiklo »

I got this tiny little beast in the mail today.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000891 ... 4c4dKHQBLE

Will be interesting to see how good this works.

It got a 1Ah. ESC -- that is what I'm concerned about. (in fact it got 2 x 1 Ah. + +)

I have thought of making that second ESC as a turbo boost option.
But I only got 3ch transitter and the 2.nd ESC is on ch6.

One option is to re-flash my FS-GT3C with a new SW that will give me 7 ch. We will see, first a one ESC run.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
Ned

Re: ESCs and experiences.

Post by Ned »

Looks promising. I’m eager to hear the results of your testing. It might be able to handle the current required for a 1/32 magracer but not the heavier 1/24.
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Smooth and easy running ESC - no brakes as expected.

Tested with Mag1 and this Nano.

Fully charged batteries at 4.18V. Both batteries.

Full throttle giving std Mag1 motor on both.
Mag1 : 4.10V on running engine.
Nano : 4.00V on the motor. This is with my IR-ID circuit onboard.

It is familiar with tests I have done on other ESCs:

The Mag1 - circuitry is very efficient.

Also an indicator on why we sense Mag1 has more grunt.

As for running time.
I put them on auto-run for 30 min on a charged battery.
And as expected the Mag1 felt fresher in the end.
End voltage around 3.80.

It would be interesting to hear from you what you measure on other ESC's.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
kiklo
Administrator

Re: ESCs and experiences. FLYSKY and ESC's voltage drop

Post by kiklo »

Took some readings on some other combinations. You might like to know.

-- Spoiler -- Conclusion.

It will be very difficult to manage to make and receiver with Esc with the same voltage output as Wes's Mag1.
Probably due to the more demanding 2.4 radio - Please prove me wrong.

So making a new car that can compete direct with Mag1 cars can be hard.
So be prepared to make a new class for your new cars.

--
My rough readings:

Mag1 has a voltage drop of 0.08 V to the motor.

All The rest has my IR-ID transmitter on as well - so they are functional like Mag1.

Mag2 has a voltage drop of 0.20 V to the motor.

The DasMikro Nano 0.18 V

Std FLYSKY+ Esc Micro 0.08
IMG_20200814_083247.jpg
IMG_20200814_083247.jpg (79.52 KiB) Viewed 12120 times
Std FLYSKY+ Esc BDUS 2A (red) 0.08
IMG_20200814_084144.jpg
IMG_20200814_084144.jpg (62.29 KiB) Viewed 12120 times
Std FLYSKY+ 16x17 Esc 0.07
IMG_20200814_091649.jpg
IMG_20200814_091649.jpg (60.08 KiB) Viewed 12120 times
Racing Regards

Kim K.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Kim, I assume that Mag 1 refers to the configuration of the 10440 battery, electronics, motor, and gearing, of the original magracer sold by Wes. This combo has more than enough power for a 1/32 car.
What does Mag 2 refer to?
Apparently the voltage at the motor is 0.1 volts less using the DasMikro Das87 Nano 7CH Receiver with Integrated 2 Seperate Bi-directional ESCs, compared to the Mag 1 configuration. That's 0.1 out of about 4.0 volts. By how much will that reduce the top speed of the typical 1/32 car? I suspect it would be about 2.5%. Do you agree?
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Yes about Mag1.

And Mag2 refers to the short lived generation from Martin who took over after Wes. http://www.magneticracing.com/cars/cars.html

Just mine notation. :-) Makes sense to me to be able have a common way of describing them.

And for top speed reduction - it is hard to say how much it is reduces - I have yet to do proper measures. But 2-5% is a good guess as any.
Without having tuned my new cars to the max I see a 1 sec slower lap times on my track. That is down from 13.xx to 14.xx.

The only proper way to do it would be ripping out all electronics from a Mag1 car and put in new electronics and run. - I don't think I bother. :-)
I'd rather spend time on getting my new cars good and accept there will be a difference.

So now we are one to MAG3 - may there come a lot......
Racing Regards

Kim K.
Ned

Post by Ned »

The Mag1 and Mag2 nomenclature seems good to me. Looking forward to Mag3.
I did some research concerning the relationship between the input voltage to a DC motor and the output shaft speed. Apparently for a fixed load, the shaft speed is proportional to the applied voltage. That suggests that the additional 0.1 volt drop in voltage from the DasMikro Das87 Nano will result in about a 2.5% reduction in the speed of a 1/32 scale car. For most people, I don't think it will be a significant difference. Driver skill and the handling characteristics of a car will have a much bigger impact on lap times than the maximum rpm of the motor. Moreover, slightly bigger rear tires could compensate for the lower motor rpm in the case of 1/32 scale, since the motor has plenty of power. I’m not concerned about the voltage drop. I like the small size and simplicity of one printed circuit board with everything on it, that is FLYSKY AFHDS compatible.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Beware! It looks like AliExpress might be selling 2 different DasMikro products with the same model number, Das87.
One called DasMikro Das87 for flysky Nano 7CH Receiver Integrated 2 Seperated Bi-directional ESC
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000891 ... 4c4dKHQBLE
It claims to be FLYSKY 2.4GHz AFHDS compatible and comes with 2 separate integrated standalone Bi-directional ESCs capable of handling a maximum 1A current.

One called DasMikro Das87 for Flysky AFHDS2A 7CH Nano Receiver
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000890 ... 5615%23673
It claims to be compatible with all Flysky AFHDS 2A transmitters. (2A stands for second generation.) Also, the output from the receiver is listed as PWM. No mention of having an ESC.

My car kits require an HK-5320 servo for the steering. The servo is available at HobbyKing.com That servo requires a PWM input signal from the receiver. Does anyone know if the output from the DasMikro Das87 Nano 7CH Receiver with 2 Integrated Seperate Bi-directional ESCs is PWM?
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

Hi.

On the 2A version ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000890 ... 5615%23673 ) you can find no motor pin output so it certainly have no onboard ESC.

Send a Q to the guy in the shop with the decorative name : ' Smelly sheep Shop' . He is quick with replies.
Racing Regards

Kim K.