Motors?

Questions, Tips and Tricks about the transmitter, the electronics in the car etc.
tsmra

Motors?

Post by tsmra »

Hi,
What is the strongest motor that can be used with these electronics? I'd like to jump up to 1:24 and in a range of 130 to 170 grams.

Brion.
Nor Cal Mike

Re: Motors?

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Hello Brion,
As far as I know, no one here has taken the plunge to see if other motors will work. Wes posted somewhere as recently as last week, that he doesn't recommend upgrading motors run by his ESC. Wes's system is somewhat anemic and is designed to run his featherlight cars at slower speeds. I think that for the application you want to do might better be addressed by using one of the more robust RC systems and try to adapt that to a similar mag steer use. That might be done by constructing your own steering coil and fitting that to your car. Here is an interesting article on electro magnets. http://www.instructables.com/answers/El ... ut-very-S/

Are you one of the Northeast Modified Racing Group? I know they are interested in this as well. If you are one of those guys, you know this but I will post a link anyway to a magsteer topic heading on their website. http://modifiedslotracing.forumotion.com/forum

I would love to exchange info with you on this subject as I am sure Vintage 1/24 and Old Goat would.
tsmra

Post by tsmra »

Hi Nor Cal,
No I don't compete with the NEM group, think I'm a bit to far south of them. I use to race with the SCORE organization but lost interest in slot cars in general the last few years. Wish I did have the interest because the SCORE group has a great bunch of people there right now. I was thinking that this MAGracing idea would be more in tune with what I'm looking for in the form of a return to the 60's style of Model Motoring with a more detailed and scale (including speed) type of approach. My eye/hand coordination just isn't good enough for out right RC cars or the "Jet fighters in a gymnasium" style that seem to dominate slot car racing today. But it looks like it's going to be a long haul to find components that will work for 1:24.
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

I watch what those SCORE guys are up to too and constantly impressed with their cars and program.

I like your plan Sir. It is very similar to mine. Whenever you get into classic open wheelers, space becomes an issue. I like classic sports cars and oval cars all of which are space deprived. I mean, ya gotta put those batteries and ESC somewhere. Fortunately, with all of the little RC helicopters and airplanes floating around there are miniature sized batteries and other components around. Going up to 1/24 will help too.

If ya don't want to go too fast, you can probably adapt Wes's components to a 1/24 sprint car if you keep the weight to a minimum. I would use a plastic chassis and vacu form body parts wherever possible. You probably know about the excellent vacuform tail tanks that Hot Laps Racin sells. I don't know who sells the classic type nose and cowl other than Pattos. He has whole bodies but single piece sprint or midget bodies always have the bottom of the tail tank contour all wrong is a no no for me. That is where the Hot Laps Racin' tanks come in. You may need to use one of those flat type batteries readily available in the RC world. If they have too much voltage, you can dial it down to proper voltage with diodes. If you aren't counting on using Wes's lap counter system, you could probably mount the ESC in the tail tank leaving more room for the battery under the cowl. Or if you use a flat battery, it might be able to stack over the ESC under the cowl. You might be able to mount model kit tires to some kind of slot car wheels. After being sanded true, because they are hard, they wouldn't have too much traction to spoil the driving fun.
Mike
sincityslotcars

Post by sincityslotcars »

Brion

Think I raced with you at SCORE many moons ago for a few races.

Have been out of slots for about 15 years, but have been doing nothing but research for the past couple months into adapting this magracing concept to 1/24 dirt oval cars.
Firing the lab back up after a looooong layoff.

ANIMAL
Smutworld Racing
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Yup, There's quite a circle track contingent growing here. Ya'll are aware That the North East Modified Slot Car Racing group have opened a magsteer discussion on their club website? That would be a great place for an oval specific discussion. Here is a Link http://modifiedslotracing.forumotion.co ... &ak=26aceb

I'm looking forward to seeing some modified, midget and sprint cars being built in any scale.

Mike
tsmra

Post by tsmra »

"ANIMAL" how ya doin'. Good to here from you.

That was at PITROAD RACEWAY in east Reading, 1/28th Modifieds, 1/24 Cup cars and 1/28th Sprint cars. Oh and the few trips Keller and I made out to Vetch's place that one season.
Vegas??? my niece and sister are out there somewhere.

The MAGracing idea looks to be a good fit between slots and RC. Isn't the Mudfleas something along the these lines?? Any way I'm not familiar with RC electronics and trying to find the proper components out of cheap RC cars doesn't feel like a good course of action. I think having an electronics back ground would really pay off here. Sourcing the components from the RC world would help with establish a standard and with consistency. I like the looks of what WES has done but wonder if he has plans to also market more robust components that would be needed for the heaver 1:24 cars?

Anyway, I'll be watching to see what happens. I can already imagine a driving line through the corner for a slide job and lines for a rolling start. A four wide Outlaw style pace lap might get a little crowded though. Hey what about a pit entrance to have push vehicles get the sprinters started. all things that couldn't be done with a slot track.

Brion.
sincityslotcars

Post by sincityslotcars »

The electronics out of cheap RC cars is a good starting point for experimentation ( got 2 new bright 1/24 cheap mustangs at walmart for 10 bucks each to hack up in the lab) Simple left/right/forward/reverse. No proportional speed control. . But finding ESC/receiver/steering actuator/battery combo small enough to fit actual 1/24 sprint car frame is the challenge.
MagRacer

Post by MagRacer »

tsmra wrote:Hi,
What is the strongest motor that can be used with these electronics? I'd like to jump up to 1:24 and in a range of 130 to 170 grams.

Brion.
Hi Brion.
I have a car running with a 130 standard Mabuchi motor :-)
The car performs very good with this motor and i have been driving for around 10 minutes.
A H-bar and gearbox, the car can fit a 1/24 scale body.

I will do some more tests and see how hot the fets gets :-)

See video:

Greetings
Mikael
MagRacer

Post by MagRacer »

Better quality