Mini ESCs for Brushed Magracing Motors

Questions, Tips and Tricks about the transmitter, the electronics in the car etc.
Ned

Mini ESCs for Brushed Magracing Motors

Post by Ned »

During the past week I’ve done a lot of research on 2.4ghz electronics and the availability of very small parts to build a very small 1:32 magracer. Couldn’t keep it all straight in my head. Decided to make a chart to keep track of all of the info concerning Electronic Speed Controllers (ESCs). Thought I’d share the chart on this forum for anyone interested in building a magracer based on 2.4 ghz electronics.

I’m currently designing another chassis kit with an adjustable wheelbase. I’m calling it CK7. It will use 2.4ghz radio gear. I expect it to be small enough to fit accurately scaled, classic small-body race cars like the Alfa Romeo 33TT3, Chaparral 2, 2E & 2F, Cooper Shelby King Cobra, Ferrari 275 GTB/C, and 512S, Ford GT40 Mk II, Lola T-70 Mk II, McLaren M8A, Porsche 917 K, 910, and 908, etc. The kit will be ideal for converting slot cars with these small bodies to magracing cars.

I have ordered all of the radio gear. Still waiting for most of it to be delivered. I expect the necessary parts to be delivered by March 1. I’ll then finish the design and send it off to Shapeways for printing. I expect the car to be running by April 1.

To access the chart click on
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NM5 ... sp=sharing

Please let me know if you find any mistakes or would like an ESC added to the chart.
kiklo
Administrator

Re: Mini ESCs for Brushed Magracing Motors

Post by kiklo »

If you really need a small package: Just tested this one. FRSKY receiver WITH onboard ESC ( no reverse ) .
https://www.banggood.com/2_4G-4CH-Micro ... 72251.html?
Attachments
DSC_2803.JPG
DSC_2803.JPG (153.67 KiB) Viewed 14822 times
Racing Regards

Kim K.
Ned

Post by Ned »

kiklo wrote:If you really need a small package: Just tested this one. FRSKY receiver WITH onboard ESC ( no reverse ) .
https://www.banggood.com/2_4G-4CH-Micro ... 72251.html?
This is indeed a small package! The product description indicates that it is a DSM2 DSMX Compatible Receiver with Built-in Brushed ESC. Will it work with any DSM2 or DSMX transmitter? Does FrSky make a pistol type transmitter that is usually used for controlling RC cars? Does anyone make a pistol type Tx compatible with this receiver/esc combo? Too bad it can't run the motor in reverse.
I have added this to a chart I'm making for receivers but I wouldn't recommend it if it doesn't have reverse.
Thanks for the info Kim.
kiklo
Administrator

Post by kiklo »

I have only found one discontinued pistol grip tx from FrSky so far.

But the tx module from the tx in picture seems to be popular hack, so it probably possible to mod it into a FlySky pg-tx.

And even it you add a proper ESC with reverse it still be the smallest around.

At least it will give anyone an option to create a F1-car, lotus 7 or minicooper etc.
Racing Regards

Kim K.
WesR

Post by WesR »

DSCF0423 (640x377).jpg
DSCF0423 (640x377).jpg (206.79 KiB) Viewed 14807 times
DSCF0418 (640x528).jpg
DSCF0418 (640x528).jpg (187.77 KiB) Viewed 14807 times
My radio is Flysky FS-GT2B 3 channel, easily available and low cost, especially from Hong Kong if you are prepared to wait a couple of weeks. The rx is standard with the case removed. The esc is the K012R 2 amp. Unfortunately this is only available from one supplier and they are currently out of stock. I think this esc, with reverse, is a new product and they are perhaps testing the market. The big market is for model aircraft but they do not of course need reverse. Hopefully, having sold out, they will make some more as this one is perfect for our needs.
As far as I can tell on my short track, the car runs better than the original cars.
NFBrown

Post by NFBrown »

The tiny receiver/esc combo is the Spektrum protocol. I don't know who makes it but probably not Frsky. Spektrum makes some pistol-grip radios but they are expensive compared to the Flysky.

Nick
WesR

Post by WesR »

Re. the esc mentioned in my last post, the suppliers inform me they will be back in stock next week. I shall be ordering one
(on ebay)