a 1/24 magracing car project

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Keld
Administrator

a 1/24 magracing car project

Post by Keld »

My dream from the very first day that I saw Wes' video with magracing, was to make a 1/24 scale car race, because I have for more than 10 years been driving 1/24 scale slotcars, and my favorite is our races with classic cars, we are here in Denmark and in Schweden driving after the German rules and are often driving together at each other, and some of the best races we are more than 30 teams racing together, but off course only 4 to 8 cars at the time depending on the track.
So I have a dream making a very high detailed 1/24 model of the Porsche 917 and Ferrari 512 from 1970/71.

But before I can do this I has to start with modern GT3 cars, since this is the cars most people like in the slot racing clubs I know.
And if I want the magracing system and the cars to be a succes, I most get the drivers from slotcar racing.

The GT3 cars also give me one advance, the bodies can be bought in racing trim, light weight, painted in real 1/1 scale racing designs, the weight is around 20 gram.
There are from scaleauto right know Porsche 997 GT3 RSR and Cup version, BMW M3, BMW Z4, Dodge Viper, Mercedes SLS, Audi R8 LMS, Jaguar XKR, available and more are coming. They are also available in white kit if somebody prefer a special design.
link to some bodies http://butik.slotworld.dk/produkt-kateg ... -bemalede/

My plan is to use as many parts as possible already used in slotcars, then it would be easier to build them, and make the cars in a much higher class than we know from prebuild slotracing car.
So I will have a larger motor, 3 mm. axles, aluminium wheel with sponge rubber on, ball bearings etc.
but keep the weight down, since we in slot racing are using brass plate etc. to improve the driving skills to a absolute madness with unnatural speed in the corners, I will NOT use this, I want to use a circuit board or something like that and maybe 2 batteries in series so the power is enough to the higher weight of the 1/24 scale car. I want a more scale correct speed of the cars just like Wes intentions is.

The larger weight of the car will also force me to chance something with the track, maybe a larger wire, or larger magnets on the steering, I also had some thoughts about using 2 wires parallel close together, and take advantage of that when making the lane change. but I must try it out.

I will use this thread to describe the progress of the car, but take it easy I also have a slot racing center to take care of and therefore I has to use some time there too.

My first car will be this:
/Keld
Keld
Administrator

Re: a 1/24 magracing car project

Post by Keld »

So I had some hours free this evening and started to make the car.

I and using a cirquit board in 70 x 100 x 1,5 mm. this size fits all the bodies i will use and I can buy it in that size to a nice price of only 0.35 € each. I need 2 boards for a car.

26,5 mm rear wheels there are 13 mm wide (the one on the pictures are used and a bit smaller)

3 mm axles, spur gear, ball bearings and a larger motor, this is one we use in slotracing.
25000 rpm at 12 volt, using 0,7A

Hope 2 batteries can support it, even that the electronic can't handle them in serie, but only parallel.
inside, just batteries the same way that we know, Wes was very smart to do it this way.
inside, just batteries the same way that we know, Wes was very smart to do it this way.
image4.JPG (107.92 KiB) Viewed 7838 times
first part fitted to se that the rearwheels are in right place, they are :)
From the underside, 2 batteries
From the underside, 2 batteries
image2.JPG (109.07 KiB) Viewed 7838 times
The holes next to the battery is to make it easy to get them out for charging.
The batteries are placed in each side, test from slotracing show it is better than in the center.

battery holder are just a 10 mm plastic board drilled a 10 mm hole to fit the battery, and a 4.8 to fit the magnets
hole to a finger, easy to take the battery out of the car.
hole to a finger, easy to take the battery out of the car.
image3.JPG (92.52 KiB) Viewed 7838 times
seen from above
Bodi and the first part of the chassis assambled
Bodi and the first part of the chassis assambled
image1.JPG (120.51 KiB) Viewed 7838 times

front axle, wheel, 2 x ball bearing and a fixing ring to the other end of the front axle.
fittet with 2 ball bearings, that give 6 ball bearing for a whole car.<br />front wheel is 25,5 mm ├©<br />and 8 mm. wide
fittet with 2 ball bearings, that give 6 ball bearing for a whole car.
front wheel is 25,5 mm ├©
and 8 mm. wide
image5.JPG (97.52 KiB) Viewed 7838 times
10 mm wide plastic board useful to test here, drilled 1,6 mm hole and the made the tread to a 2 mm bolt.
axles was cut to correct lenght after this picture.
the first test with the turning front wheels, this is made from a 10 mm plastic plate i had.
the first test with the turning front wheels, this is made from a 10 mm plastic plate i had.
image6.JPG (83.48 KiB) Viewed 7838 times
cirquit board use all over in the test car.
cirquit board use all over in the test car.
image7.JPG (81.58 KiB) Viewed 7838 times
/Keld
rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

very nice work, but do you think you get enough power, running a 12v motor with only 3,7v ? parallel akkus will bring only longer runtime, but not more power. and seriel installed akkus are to dangerous for the electronic, as you said, and i think too. i was to afraid to test higher voltage, dont wanted the electronic to get up in smoke. the second akku will bring more weight, and this is unfortunely in my opinion. fighting for every gramm on the bodys and than this? i made it with two motors and its tourge enough by 3,7v. the greatest problem will be to built a correct working frontaxle and steering. with higher weight, and worst, longer wheelbase, you have to use a big, strong guidemaget. if you do this, the steeringpower has to be higher, or the car will not take any lanechange. i installed greater magnets at the steeringcoil and the car was steering out of the l.c., that you can control with the space between the coil and the magnets. the thing is, if you change one thing, it has an effect on every other. wes has spend a lot of time to work all parameters in a balance i think. i hope your fine work will bring you a good succes. with ,,magnetic,, greetings markus
Ned

Post by Ned »

Very interesting. I will be following your progress. Good luck Keld.