car steering & use as rc

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Jeee

car steering & use as rc

Post by Jeee »

Might be a strange/stupid question but I wondered if these cars can also be used as normal rc cars or is the steering to limited (that is only full right/left or straight) ?
rex craemer

Re: car steering & use as rc

Post by rex craemer »

hi jeee, without a track its not working. it only steer full right or left.
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

It is correct that the steering is limited to full right or left.
There is not steering straight, the straight is done because the wheels are self correcting, so straight is a bit flussy :)

The steering system is only working when the car is "deslotted" and no more is following the wire in the track.

So it it almost impossible to drive a lap without a wire in the track.
/Keld
Jeee

Post by Jeee »

Thank you for your replies. So I won't be getting one for standard rc use ;-).

I wondered if there during the development have been tests with a more precise steering option and different sizes of wire on different parts of the track. This in a way that if you want you could switch lanes everywhere.

Maybe that is not possible because of the force required to guide and the force the steering can give (loss of speed while changing?). Maybe only at straigths or at straights and 'weak' curves or beginning of the curves?

Any expert ideas?
rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

the system is near to digital slot racing. like there you can only change lanes were you built a lanechange. the car has to drive on the wire. without wire its not realy to handle. but the difference is you can built what you want, if you look at some important things for trackbuilding.(no lc in curves and a few little things).you will have to test, that you make our own ecperiences, and learning by doing is the thing for magracing. its a new system, and there is a lot of potential to find out.
Jeee

Post by Jeee »

thanks again. I think that if the steering is more flexible (just like with the old carrera stuff but that was limited to straights only) you get even more fun racing.

Assuming it is possible I added it to my suggestion list and posted that in the news section
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=297&p=2921#p2921
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

it is all ready limited to straight, you can't start a lane change when the car is driving thru a corner, it has to be started before on the straight.
/Keld
Jeee

Post by Jeee »

is the centrifugal force to big to switch in a corner?
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

think about a slotcar where the guide is in the slot
it is the same here, the magnet is just hanging in the wire, the cars will always go as fast as possible if they are racing and therefore a little more speed the car leave the wire.
and if you are going so slow that you would be able to turn you will probably be hit from behind, and it will no longer be racing.

If you are making a track for show like a city with light signals etc. you can do that, I can't really see why anybody will do that. maybe only to learn kids to behave in the traffic.
/Keld
Jeee

Post by Jeee »

I agree that racing requires some speed. I thought that magracing tries to make it more realistic. And that also means less speed in turns. I am not sure what would be possible but can imagine that less speed and more options would also mean additional ways to overtake people (instead of just waiting for someone else to make a mistake). Actions like this are only possible with a bit of freedom: