magnet change

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
rex craemer

magnet change

Post by rex craemer »

hi all together. i changed the guidingmagnet from original 4x3 into 5x3 .results are, better hold on the wire,reduce frontend shimmy, better taking of lc . i have to say that i drive a high griplevel on the rearaxle. i installed slot.it.hard rubberwheels.
rex craemer

Re: magnet change

Post by rex craemer »

Ned

Post by Ned »

Very interesting. How did you make a larger hole centered and oriented perfectly in the plastic magnet guide arm, to hold the larger magnet? Is the diameter of the hole 5 mm, the same as the new magnet? Or is it larger? Did you use glue to retain the new magnet? Does the magnet protrude slightly below the plastic arm so that the bottom of the magnet is a little closer to the wire compared to the head of the screw behind it? Is the grade of the magnet D32 or N52? (I'm not sure if these grades are standardized and used in all countries. N52 is stronger than C32.)
Some info concerning magnets is available at http://www.kjmagnetics.com/neomaginfo.asp
rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

i have taken neodym n42, n45 in different dimensions 4x3, 5x3, 5x5, to test. cost less than 15 euro for 40 pieces.i drilled the hole to 4.8mm, only hold the driller in the hand, afraid to break it ,heated the arm with a hairdryer and pushed them in. so i have a strong hold, needed no glue,and i can adjust the magnets.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Very clever!
rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

there is not much material, so you have to be carefull.
WesR

Post by WesR »

Increasing the power of the steering magnet will certainly help the cars to run straight, especially if heavier bodies are being used. Increasing the diameter of the wire will have a similar effect. My main concern here is that it is then more difficult to drive over the wire when steering back onto the track after an 'off'. Also the cars are more inclined to spin out unless grip is increased on the rear tyres. This is of course what Marcus has done. I do accept that a little more grip at the rear does make the cars easier to drive. On our video 'Stew wins again', Stew's has in fact hard foam tyres which give slightly more grip than our masking tape tyres which is perhaps why he won 3 races.
When starting this project I had a rubber tyre mould made in China but the grip was so great that the cars could be driven flat out and no skill was required.
Re shimmy on the straights, unfortunately heavier bodies do make this worse which is why is why we stay with lightweight shells. For racing, lightweight bodyshells are of course faster. On our Linford 2 circuit, this problem has been virtually eliminated by ensuring that the wire is perfectly flush with the track surface, the joints in the wire are perfectly aligned and there is only one lane change.
Keep up the good work Markus!
rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

yes,you are right, with rubbertyres its enormes grip.
rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

on my track, i got it so that wen you are to fast, you first loose the rear. so you can catch it. if you are much to fast, you loose the wire. it looks like allways full throttle in the video,but you have to steer and reduce the accelration in every curve to hold racingline. if not, the car gets slower because of to big drift, or shoot out of the wire. to get realy fast you have to drive a smooth line with not much drifting.
rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

i made the exrerience that novice drivers are loosing the interest, if they are loosing the wire 3 or more times a round. but if it is possible to learn to drive round in a short time they wants to get quicker. and to get quick is a lot of training. its right that its more interesting for good drivers if its more difficult and more sensitive, but i hope thats a way to catch some freaks like us and infect them with this virus.