Starting new chassis.

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Nor Cal Mike

Re: Starting new chassis.

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Excellent Sir! I really look forward to seeing your new front suspension beams as well. I'm also looking forward to seeing reports on how these cars run with proper tires on them.
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Same here Mike, guess some of the members are willing to try almost anything. hehe

Chris
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Thanks guys. Need to make a run to the Hobby shop this week and pick up some tubing for the new spindles. Going to use the pins that hold the wheels from a Fly slot car. Then will have to figure out how to cast the new spindles. Probably will require a 3 or 4 piece mold. (FUN) So should have a update this time next week.

Getting closer........ Joel
Leonabi76

Post by Leonabi76 »

Hey Joel,

That is a great job. Now you're stating that your molding that beige chassis, correct? I've designed and 3D printed various parts in RC, and fairly inexpensive I might add. How much would it take to either get a chassis from you or get the "exact" dimensions of one so that I can see if one can be printed? I am by no means trying to bypass Wes, as the guts (electronics) would still have to come from him. I would like a chance at scratch designing a more universal chassis as well that would accommodate Wes' innards. After being done, I'd return it if were a lender. Or I can purchase if that's all well, too. Let me know.

Abi
Raudi1

Post by Raudi1 »

Great work!! Clearly from reviewing the forum posts there is a demand for different wheelbase chassis to fit the current LMP and stock car bodies which usually have longer wheelbases. Extending the area behind the battery box to move the whole motor/gear/axel assembly would seem the most obvious way to offer options without having to reinvent the entire layout and allow all of the stock components to transfer over.
How about a chassis that had 3-4 rear axel locations pre drilled at 1/4 inch intervals?
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

UPDATE..... Well kinda..

I now have 10 can-am body/chassis kits close to completion. They are all at different levels of being ready. All electronics blot right in. Will post photos when cars are ready. Body molds were created from preexisting slot cars with vacuum formed interiors, resin wheels, drivers, and all the miscellaneous bits to complete the car. Each car consist on the average of 6 different molds. I am Very proud of my work so far.

NOW.........

Has anyone done there own photoetching? I am wanting to do all my own etched grills, brake roters, etc. for the cars.
I would appreciated any help on this.

CONCLUSION......

My goal is to be able to offer a high quality kit with the detail of say a Slot-it or Racer slot car but with a vacuum body at an reasonable price.. Around $25.00 US funds. Taking Magracing to the next level.

This project is mostly for myself (I just cant leave anything stock). IF there is a market for such a kit I might as well make all my work available to the masses... Time will tell...............
Thanks for all the interest in my little project...

Joel
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Joel,

I certainly am interested. I hope to see perhaps some group 5 coupes or Trans Am cars someday too. Maybe that shorter/ fatter battery I sent you will make the narrower cab of most of these cars possible.

Mike
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Mike, that is exactly what I am thinking. I have probably 25 Group 5 and Trans-Am resin bodies/slot cars. The shorter battery seems to be made for these cars. As soon as I have a good field of can-am I will start on the other two.

Joel
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

:yes Joel

Outstanding!!!!!, lost my other post a couple mins ago, no idea what happen. Great to see what your planning and I am with Mike also , so plan on my business for some kits also. You will have to see what Wes will(if he will) sell the electronics for so we can save on buying a 1/32 frame that we aren't going to use.

are your WB adjustable or just many settings? I am working on the Nascar sedans/trucks in 1/24, before I go Joel, you are making a 1/24 frame aren't you?

thanks for the uplift with your grat news.

Chris
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Chassis are all fixed. Quite a few can-am cars have the same wheelbase so only needed a few chassis. I went through my vast collection (some 60 can's) and was able to figure out how many bodies would fit each chassis.

NO on the 1/24 chassis. May consider building one for say NASCAR. or an adjustable chassis of some sort. But not anytime soon. It is very hard for me to stay focused. A.D.D. and all. That is why I have 10 cars and none are completely done. :lol:

Thanks for looking..... Joel