Starting new chassis.

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Joel, LeNoir

Starting new chassis.

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Hello. Here is the start of my new chassis. Decided to make several wheelbase chassis instead of going adjustable.. Next I will add slot car type rear axle. Having a lot of fun. Hoping to have a chassis done and casted for my 1970 Mclaren M8D.

Joel, LeNoir

Re: Starting new chassis.

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Sorry... Posting with my phone. Chassis weight is the same as Wes's 11 grams.

Anyway...... 1970 McLaren M8D mold is now ready. I have decided to do 1970 Can-Am first. (Quite a few of the cars also ran Le Mans) So stay tuned.

Have all the parts now for my new professional 2 stage vac machine. Should make beautiful bodies. That's it for now. Back to the work shop.

Joel
racerpaul

Post by racerpaul »

Joel, LeNoir wrote:Sorry... Posting with my phone. Chassis weight is the same as Wes's 11 grams.

Anyway...... 1970 McLaren M8D mold is now ready. I have decided to do 1970 Can-Am first. (Quite a few of the cars also ran Le Mans) So stay tuned.

Have all the parts now for my new professional 2 stage vac machine. Should make beautiful bodies. That's it for now. Back to the work shop.

Joel

Hi Joel,

Looks like you are going to be making some serious bodies! Look forward to seeing your progress!

Regards
Paul
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Very nice chassis Joel. While you are creating chassis, may I make a suggestion? For the longer chassis, I suggest that you look at the 16340 battery. It would allow you to make a narrower chassis. The battery might also be squeezed into a chassis the size of Wes's present version but it would be a very tight fit. Here are a couple of pictures as a comparison.

Mike
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

More pics coming.
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Front steering is now in silicone. Needed serious modding to clear can-am style front-ends. Will post
pics of finished chassis when out of the mold.

Getting close...... Joel
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Joel,

Outstanding work and the tires/wheels, they look just like the ones I ordered from NPC hobbies.

Your system looks great and what is your WB, and what bodies do you plan for this frame?

Keep us posted and can't wait to see the finished car.

:mrgreen: Chris

P.S. I see the sliding rear section to change the WB, guess you didn't mold this frame, you pieced it together with sheet of ?. Where is your supplier for the sheets? if I may ask?
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Joel,

The more I look at your frame , you did mold it then modified it to fit the sliding rear section. I have to get back into molding with resin again.

Great job and my brain cells are doing back flips to get started on my frame.

thanks again for helping me.

Chris
Vintage 1/24

Post by Vintage 1/24 »

Good work!

Nice to see proper gears, axles, wheels and tires on the car - as it should be IMO.

I wrapped my stock rears with a rubberized tape and it made for a huge improvement - so I think the silicones and rubber tires on your rig will really drive nicely.
Vintage 1/24

Post by Vintage 1/24 »

Also -

The added stability of bushings - and some trued tires that will lay flat will should make for a more stable car - better all around.

And this chassis mod allows for fitting lots of great looking mass produced 1/32nd bodies that are already out there...