Another interesting non-slot car project...

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
ravajack

Another interesting non-slot car project...

Post by ravajack »

At Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference keynote, Apple CEO Tim Cook welcomed Boris Sofman on to the stage to show off a slot car demonstration. More than just a game, the slot cars, controlled by iOS, serve as a proof-of-concept for artificial intelligence technology from a new San Francisco startup named Anki.

More to read here:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57588 ... ed-by-ios/
ravajack

Re: Another interesting non-slot car project...

Post by ravajack »

Lasp

Post by Lasp »

Quite amazing, now I have too stop my camera AI works with WesR cars ;-(

But I still like MagRacing!
Kuipo

Post by Kuipo »

I saw this when I was watching the Keynote (big time Apple pro user) and thought it was a nice gimic, but what they were really showing off here was what developers could acomplish with the power of an iPhone. (This is a developers conference after all.) These will likely be no different from the small 10~15$ remote control cars like this:

These are gimmick toys to be made for kids to play with for a short while. Not exactly a hobby that anyone would get into long term. It's all about who they intend to market to and I think it's pretty safe to say they aren't aiming at the same market. I don't mean to say they are a bad product... but I just hope no one here thinks these will be taking off as some serious hobby. lol
ravajack

Post by ravajack »

Kuipo wrote:These will likely be no different from the small 10~15$ remote control cars like this:
Au contraire , mon frère!
These are very different creatures, with a serious built-in AI system that takes care of business.
Some more details in this video, showing graphically what the AI does and how different these things are from the low-end toys you referred to:

Lasp

Post by Lasp »

My poor english is not enough too explain my feeling for this "anki"!

Its not a toy nor a game, its like MagRacing, a serius tools for mindcreating.
So you don´t need to take the MinusQ pills! ;-)

read, at least, the last sentens, thanks from Lasp
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57588 ... consumers/
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

I think this is less a serious product now than a demonstration of things to come. It is not unlike the Pong game of robotics. Rather than a little race track that four cars circumvent, this technology portends consumer robots in the very near future that can operate autonomously in the home or business. Think of a robot that can visually spot, identify and then pick up and put away Junior's roller skate lying on the bedroom floor.
SlotCarRental_com

Post by SlotCarRental_com »

Very Interesting Race track...

I am curious if the cars are just Bluetooth cars or if they actually have the AI in the car...

My guess is the AI is in the IPhone software and not the actual car.

If that is the case the software may work with the 1:64 Zen Wheels:
http://www.ZenWheels.com
rex craemer

Post by rex craemer »

hi all, i posted a comment in a big anki blog here in germany. they better look at magracing, and not at that shit. i had 5 mails with interest for magracing after only 2 hours. i cant understand it, this trash is the second most sold toy in 2014 in the usa, they told there. promotion is all, and apple has enough money to do it. i am hopefull to get some guys over to magracing. lets see what happens in the future. may the ,,magnetforce,, be with us,
SlotCarRental_com

Post by SlotCarRental_com »

I have multiples of each Anki Car, and lots of track sections...
Anki Drive, or now Anki OverDrive is actually quite fun, and a really good product.

Mag Rracing is a Hobby... Anki Overdrive is a toy inspired by RC, SlotCars, and Video Games.

It is a COMPLETE product, no finishing or custom work is required, so it is a better purchase for most.

It is not fair to say one or the other sucks, or is shit.
If you dislike video games you may very well think Anki is not your thing, and just as many if not more people that do not like to super glue and build and paint things themselves will not like or have interest in Mag Racing.