Can-Am & Group 5 bodies

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Joel, LeNoir

Can-Am & Group 5 bodies

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Hello... Still a bit premature but, I will be making bodies for 1966-1974 can-am & 1977-1982 Group 5 cars. They will be a vac body with resin and photo etched bits. Kinda of a high-bred. I will post pics as they become available.

Thanks for looking..... Joel
Nor Cal Mike

Re: Can-Am & Group 5 bodies

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Are these bodies going to be specific to these cars? Are they going to be clear? I prefer clear to white as it allows clear windows.
Mike
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Hello Mike...

Little more info.
70-74 can-am cars & most of the Group 5 cars should fit a mag chassis. Will modify wheelbase of the body to fit the chassis. My order has not showed up yet so have not been able to much without have a chassis to measure. Have been molding drivers, mirrors, and what not. Started cadding up the photo-etch parts. Bodies will be clear.

66-69 can-am.... Going to be much more difficult. Bodies much more smaller. Will probably have to design a smaller adjustable chassis. Very much possible but will take more time.

Thanks for showing an interest.
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

for a help i can tell some dimensions:

rear wheel 21.22 mm diameter
front wheels 20.00 mm

wide over wheels 60 mm
wheelbase 76 mm

the size between the wheels is 55 mm since the wire for the battery box is there,
the plastic is only 54.20 mm wide.

no point on the chassis is higher than the wheels

merry x-mas to everybody
Attachments
sporvidde.jpg
sporvidde.jpg (157.06 KiB) Viewed 17217 times
wheelbase.jpg
wheelbase.jpg (145.2 KiB) Viewed 17217 times
/Keld
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Hello all,

My nascar snap-tite (level 1) 1/32 plastic kits are 3 3/8" WB and 3 1/2" WB between (6 diff. cars), nascar from the 90's thunderbirds and Lumina brands. Pick these up on ebay and some online hobby stores for around $8.00 each plus shipping. Wes WB is about 3" on his frames.

Chris Sr.
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Chris,
It would probably pretty easy to build a new section that could be bolted on to the rear of Wes' chassis to lengthen it to fit your Nascar bodies. You could simply build a new channel section to the same dimensions as the rear of the stock chassis. This could be bolted on to the existing chassis by using the original axle carrier holes as mounting lugs to bolt the new section to and also add a tab across the bottom to add a third screw there. New axle holes could then be drilled in the new extension section to move the rear axle to the desired location. The motor could be then re glued in the aft position to align with the new rearward axle placement. If you are careful in how you engineer this, the chassis could be taken back to stock specs by simply removing the extension, reinstalling the axle to the original location and then re gluing the motor back into its original mounting place.

Mike
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Mike,
Another great idea, thanks and your knowledge is showing your experience with the small size racers of all types. I was going to get back to molding rubber forms to cast resin parts as I need them. Another member of forum is is going to be making frames and vac. form bodies so we will be good, just need extra tire componds to play with , but guess that will come soon enough.

Be glad when the holidays are done so I can spend more time in my Mag room doing all these great things.

Thanks again Mike and the gang

Chris 8-)
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Thanks for the dimensions Keld. I can get a head start on some other bodies.

Paul
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Okay.... I need some more pics. Can I get a close-up pic of the top & bottom of the car? Also How many mm's is there between the top of the steering plate and the top of the McLaren body at it's lowest point between the fenders?
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Side note.... Ordered the plans, heating element, & vac pump for my new vac machine. Getting real serious now.. Should have the 1st body by the end of January. :D :D :D

http://build-stuff.com/1001plans_hobby_vac.htm#toppage