Can-Am & Group 5 bodies

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Nor Cal Mike

Re: Can-Am & Group 5 bodies

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Joel,
Here are the pics.

It is hard to see the underside of the body when the chassis is in place but you don't have more than a mm or so with the body in place. Also notice on the picture of the top side, the two mounting bolts on either side of the upper axle plate stick above about a mm. The deck of the body slopes upward at that point but it too has minimal clearance. I think it is safe to say that you cannot make the front cowl section any lower than the Wes' McLaren body. I hope this helps.
Mike
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Thanks mike.. Will copy full scale for reference. Is the sides of the battery box solid? Looks like some area can be gained there. I will need it for my 1966-1969 Can-am bodies. 1970-1974 will not be a problem. So will start with them. I have over 50 can-am resin and high quality vac bodies to work with. So many..... that I now am having wooden bucks made of the cars that are not available. It is safe to say that in time we will have a body available for every can-am car that ran.

Also as soon as I receive my shipment of cars I will be sending one of them off to a guy so he can design an adjustable chassis in cad for shapways. Will make the file available to everyone when ready.

Still think I will need to find a battery a bit smaller.

Again, thanks for your help.
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

There is a small step of about a mm but the positive lead to the battery runs through that area on one side. I don't see how you can find enough savings there to be worth your while in terms of try to modify the present configuration. I think that you will have to account for the full width of the chassis as-is as long as the original battery mounting size and location is still in place.

Mike
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Joel and Mike,

I feel I'm not helping at all, is there anything I can do or work on to help you guys with the frames/bodies?

Can balsa wood used to make bodies molds, for vac machines? Or should a harder type wood be used?

Chris :mrgreen:
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Given our distance, I don't know how any of us can do beyond exchanging information and experience as we find it with photo's of course. I think that bucks for vacuforming bodies can be made of carved wood or a variety of materials that can be cast such as plaster of paris. I for one am looking for mid to late 50's front engine roadsters such as the Maserati Tipo 61, Scarab etc. Pattos has them so it is just a matter of having them sent halfway around the world. Then it is a matter of reconfiguring the chassis to accept these bodies.

Well I am off to the shop to see if I can make some progress on my track.

Mike
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Hello all.... Here is a site for good quality vac bodies.http://www.truescaleproducts.com/index.htm

As far as Pattos. Quality is very poor. But he has everything..http://members.optusnet.com.au/pattosplace/home.html

A site of OKAY bodies....http://www.bettaandclassic.com/Index1.htm

Chris.... All is good. I have been collecting these bodies for years. So it's not like I just started. Before I was doing resin bodies. Now, remolding them to become vac bucks.

Side note.... If you know of a site that is doing 1/32 vac's please drop a link. Even if they are poor quality someone here could remold and improve on it.
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

I have been referred yo True Scale Products twice recently. Unfortunately when you go to their site and click on 1/32, they list 0 product. There is nothing to be found there in 1/32.

Mike
Keld
Administrator

Post by Keld »

Joel, do you have some size for the Wolvorine, I can try build a MAGracing chassis for that.
/Keld
Joel, LeNoir

Post by Joel, LeNoir »

Mike .......Victor is on vacation tell the first of the year. So that maybe why nothing shows up..

Keld.... I do not have the measurements of the wolverine body I am having done. I just requested the car to be true to scale. I will ask and get back to you.