Sprint Car body

Tips and tricks about building a car. painting it a making it run smooth.
Double Naught

Sprint Car body

Post by Double Naught »

I asked one of my slot car friends if he had any sprint car bodies. He brought over some plastic hard bodies and one lexan one.
I tried it for size and it looks very interesting, I think it might be 1/24 but not sure. Was it Joel that has a vacuum former? If you could leave the chassis stock and make a body that would cover the chassis with lexan in the shape of the nerf bars, I think would look fine. What do you guys think? Add some lexan wings if you like shape the front bumper, build an oval.
That would be a blast!

Paul
Attachments
Sprint car lexan body.jpg
Sprint car lexan body.jpg (32.53 KiB) Viewed 14686 times
Oldgoat

Re: Sprint Car body

Post by Oldgoat »

:yes yes Joel is the one that said he was getting a new vac machine I think, but both NorCalMike and I have tried to contact him(Joel) without any luck. Haven't seen him on forum for awhile either

I think that vac is 1/32, just due to total length of body. check out bigdonkeyresin.com for cool 1/24 resin bodies and parts.good luck

Mike and I are trying to make a workable 1/24 frame using Wes' frame and electronics so any cool 1/24 boies you can grab, sure would advise you to. I also are going with the OLD 1950 GP cars mercs and Alfas with narrow high spoke wheels ,Get these from Pattos Place in AU

Later , keep us posted

Chris
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Paul,

You may have already noticed this, but the two holes at the front of the chassis are the same distance apart as the ones holding the front suspension beams. The only difference is that the rearward, suspension holes have a shoulder built up on them. If you add spacers, and open up the hole in the chassis to clear the mag tiller movement, you can move the axle unit forward to those holes. you would also have to move the steering coil forward too. This would leave you with pretty much the correct wheelbase for that sprint car body. Add some taller tires and some upper nerf bars attached to the battery box extending and a cage and you have a sprint car.
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Nope, I didn't notice that you could change the wheelbase. So we have a 3" wheelbase and a x" wheelbase car, that's interesting. Very observant Mike! Gotta go check what the size would be.

Paul
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Paul and Mike

we can pick up a bit over 1/2 " if we use the forward set of holes(for bumper) and if you need a bit more forward or back , just drill a couple more holes where you need to mget the perfect WB for your sprints.

Chris
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Mike & Paul,
this will solve my WB problem with the 8 1/32 nascar bodies I bought way back when. and if you need more WB add sheet plastic to where the bumper goes.

Chris :yes
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Yeah, that would be great to be able adjust the wheelbase. I sure like to see one run with a hardbody on it.

Paul
Nor Cal Mike

Post by Nor Cal Mike »

Double Naught wrote:Yeah, that would be great to be able adjust the wheelbase. I sure like to see one run with a hardbody on it.

Paul
Maybe you will be the first one to step up to the task and make it so. :respect
Double Naught

Post by Double Naught »

Not right now Mike, I haven't even painted any of my cars yet! I think I'll keep mine stock for now, too much to learn about track design and construction. I just thought a vacuum formed sprint car would be nice with a stock chassis.

Paul